Broken Vortex

bradigby

Active Fanatic
I am new to scopes. I was having issues at the range this weekend with a Crossfire 2 scope that I settled for when strike eagles were hard to get. First thing, the zero was off (a foot right and 6 inches) but easily corrected. Then, the impact of the bullets would move a foot left and right when I changed the magnification between 1 and 4. I thought I was doing something wrong and threw it back in the bag for another day. When I got home I noticed the scope was bent. I looked through it and realized it wasn't bent that bad before.

My real question is, how reliable/tough are scoped ARs in general? I babied this thing (relative to non-scoped rifles I have been issued) and it failed on its 4th trip. I have had it less than year and only put about 200 rounds through it. I am disappointed but I also understand that I went cheap in case I didn't like it. Thoughts and comments are appreciated. I have worn out everyone at the office with gun talk.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The Primary Arms 1-4 (also cheap) I used to have was tossed into barrels and dumped on tables multiple times over the 3 or so years of 3 gun matches I attended and I never had a problem with loss of zero and other than scratches, no real damage to the scope.

Send it to vortex and they'll make it right.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If the scope tube is actually bent that took a pretty hard hit or something pretty heavy to bend it. I'd guess that's more accident then an issue with a cheap scope.

I've had several Chinese made Millet DMS and half of them eventually had some sort of issue. My strikeeagle had an issue after a year too. Heck I also had an issue with my $2500 Swarovski.

That's why it's best to buy that cheap Chinese stuff from Vortex because of their warranty.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
bradigby said:
This is it.
Yeah I doubt any scope manufacturer is going to take the blame for that. Looks like something landed on it pretty hard. Good news is vortex will fix or replace it.

dennishoddy

59nolimit said:
Yeah that's not cool! But vortex has the best warranty in the business. Give em a call and they will get you fixed right up.
All of the optics and reloading company's have incredible customer service these days. Most just charge shipping if that for repairs.
The competition among those company's has resulted in low profits, so customer service is what most thrive on these days.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
dennishoddy said:
All of the optics and reloading company's have incredible customer service these days. Most just charge shipping if that for repairs.
The competition among those company's has resulted in low profits, so customer service is what most thrive on these days.
Even still, it's easy to have a great replacement policy on a junk product. Since most folks buy guns & accessories & stowe them in a closet or safe forever & never use them, it's still a win for the business. In my opinion Vortex provides a great product at a great value, and sets the bar for customer service.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
Vortex customer service is awesome. I sent a strike fire in for repair. The power button got broke on a version 1 they "repaired" it and sent it back in less than 5 days. However I was having issues with the dot cycling colors from green to red. I emailed them they sent my a shipping label and I had a brand new version 2 in less than three days.

Latest posts