Bolt-on iron sights for AR: flip-up or otherwise

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I will very likely be shooting irons at the IPSC rifle match this spring. I have currently switched to a red dot only, but can remove it and accomodate some pic-rail irons. I can put a JP front sight on my barrel behind the comp, but can also clamp a front sight onto the railed end of my 15" handguard. Kind of rather use flip-up sights and keep them on even after the match when I reattach my Aimpoint. Might also just use the dot and change to Open if we don't shoot past 300, but if any of you have good suggestions for BUIS then I'd like to hear them and their pros and cons.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The new samson flips are awesome. I have a set you can check out next time you come by the shop

youre going to switch your stuff up for just one match and shoot obsolete iron sights? Im going to shoot my non magnified optic in open and beat the iron sighted shooters overall.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Do you know how many keyboard commandos have been killed flipping up their backups? A lot!

Go with offset BUIS. No need to waste time flipping anything up WTSHTF.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I like using iron sights, but maybe I'll wait til we find out max range and then roll with the red dot.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
I can answer that. Max range will be 300 yards. But..... You will be shooting off-hand, kneeling, sitting and prone. We will also be shooting the 4 inch MGM targets at 100 yards. possibly off-hand or another non-prone position.. The tests for the match will be for any setup, regardless of sighting choice. Shoot what you are most comfortable with and don't get hung up on divisions.. I personally prefer irons for many reasons, but mainly because of astigmatisms, I do not shoot scopes/RDS very well. Shoot what you got and let's have fun!!!

JohnCea

Well-Known Fanatic
For me Remington Model 700: Best Tactical Bolt-Action Rifle. is the best.

Latest posts