Attn: RMs, MDs, and steel shooters: We f---ed up our AR500 so you don't have to

Spart

Active Fanatic
We've had a lot of people that show up to our 3-gun matches wanting to shoot steel jacketed ammo at our rifle steel over the years.

I've always known it wasn't a problem, but rules were rules. I don't know how many of you noticed but 3GN altered the rules at some point (I think just this year) seemingly to allow steel jacketed ammo:

9.1.2 Tracer, incendiary, armor piercing or steel/tungsten/composite core projectiles are NOT allowed and are prohibited from use on all steel targets.
That part of the rules used to specifically mention steel jackets.

Anyway, I've long been of the opinion that what you really need to watch out for is people shooting hot 55gr out of longer (20"+) barrels, especially if you get down to (what's generally considered to be) the minimum safe distance of 50yd. Other disciplines like PRS-style matches where not everybody is shooting a .223 tend to institute a speed limit.

We were going to test this just for our club, but we decided to make a video out of it for your enjoyment. We shot M855, M193, 5.45 7N6, steel jacketed ("bimetal") Tula 223, and plenty of other ammo at a new piece of AR500:

Enjoy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47VrSrlF498

Spart

Active Fanatic
We do what we can to keep it entertaining. Share it around if you found it useful!

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Cool video. I think the quality of the ar-500 steel has something to do with the damage done as well. I shoot 55's just a shade over 3200fps and with my MGM steel at 100 yards, there is not as much as a dimple with either my fmj's or NBT's. I have shot plenty of steel that looks like 20 year old soft steel after being hit a few times at even longer distances though. I too was always on the "steel penetrator" won't do squat to quality targets at distance and you all proved that. With that said, I doubt any organization, that's not for sale, will adapt the rule allowing green tip on their steel. But you never know.

Spart

Active Fanatic
It's important to note that we used a 20" barrel, so our hot 55gr was moving as fast as reasonably possible. Most people shoot a 18" or less barrel for 3-gun.

Anecdotally​, even stepping down to a 17.7" barrel has quite an effect on the down range performance with the same ammo compared to a 20". A 16" barrel even more so.

Also, I'd say M855 is still a bad idea and we're still not going to allow it, but we're going to allow/encourage steel cased/jacketed ammo since it does the least damage.

Latest posts