Appendix carry 1911

A**hole#1

Fanatic
So I have been carrying a Timberwolf (Glock 22 knockoff) appendix for about 6 years. But I have this bad ass 1911 I want to carry, and I am new to the firearm. OWB I carry 3 o' clock hammer back safety on. My question is what condition do you appendix carry your 1911 in, or do you at all? Meaning hammer cocked, safety on; half cocked; or uncocked. All of course with one in the chamber. Not looking for an argument, just some sage wisdom from those who are in the know. I would appreciate it. Thank ya'll in advance.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Be impossible to avoid an argument on this one.

Condition 1 only and forever, the way the 1911 was and is meant to be carried.

Half-cock is not safe at all, and NOT a carry condition . Or a safety actually. Its ONLY purpose is to prevent an AD from hammer follow.

Round chambered and hammer down? Never and oh heck no. I suppose the half-cock would help prevent the inevitable slip of the hammer while being lowered. Maybe

I don't carry appendix, as it just isn't comfortable for me. Just can't imagine sitting could be comfortable.

All , my opinion, of course. But study the conditions of readiness, condition 1 is the only logical choice. With the possible exception of chamber empty, hammer down.

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
Cocked and locked. As has been said this is the only way the gun was designed to be carried.

It's SAFE to carry the gun without round chambered and hammer down. It's NOT safe to carry it with a round chambered unless it's cocked and locked. But carry with no round in chamber has its own problems of getting the gun into action when it has to be fast, you're in a fight, and it might be one handed.

A**hole#1

Fanatic
Cocked and locked. As has been said this is the only way the gun was designed to be carried.

It's SAFE to carry the gun without round chambered and hammer down. It's NOT safe to carry it with a round chambered unless it's cocked and locked. But carry with no round in chamber has its own problems of getting the gun into action when it has to be fast, you're in a fight, and it might be one handed.
So cocked and locked is safe. Got it. Saw a Texas Ranger(not Chuck) riding 3 o'clock cocked and locked when I first started carrying a poly and thought, "Man, that's crazy." Lol.

A**hole#1

Fanatic
No appendix carry for me, no thank you. I carry iwb about 4:00
As far as condition? It's #1 for a reason!! Condition one my friend is the only correct answer here.
Condition 1 is all I have ever carried, even before I trusted my old Glock. Bad stuff happens fast. May go iwb 3-4:00. Had real good results with my Vedder so I ordered one for my 1911.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
So I have been carrying a Timberwolf (Glock 22 knockoff) appendix for about 6 years. But I have this bad ass 1911 I want to carry, and I am new to the firearm. OWB I carry 3 o' clock hammer back safety on. My question is what condition do you appendix carry your 1911 in, or do you at all? Meaning hammer cocked, safety on; half cocked; or uncocked. All of course with one in the chamber. Not looking for an argument, just some sage wisdom from those who are in the know. I would appreciate it. Thank ya'll in advance.
Wise advice.

A**hole#1

Fanatic
Thank you Mike. Col. Cooper is the man. Got my Vedder holster in and as usual I like it. They made appendix carry with a full size doable when I was carrying Glocks, and I am not a skinny man. I believe carry should be comforting, not so much comfortable. I am rocking it cocked and locked appendix when outside the line and cocked and locked 3'o clock when inside the line. I appreciate all the input. You guys are alright.

JC54

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry my govt model in a straight drop holster on the left hip @10 o'clock and it angles forward into cross draw. The muzzle points past your left hip/leg so it is not suicidal and it's great for driving/sitting access to your firearm. It is also the most concealable carry position because you never "print" if you wear a nice loose shirt. If you bend over instead of printing, the shirt covers everything even more. The only worry is reaching up your shirt can ride up while grabbing something off a high shelf while shopping. (Attention Wallmart shoppers - armed domestic terrorist on aisle 7!) In the heat of summer I carry a 45 Shield in an IWB kydex holster this way with the holster in the belt but outside the pants. With the short barrel a tee shirt covers everything great and the pants are between you and the holster so I found it to be the most comfortable way to carry for summer sweat season. This doesn't work with a short grip handgun like a G26 because the way the grip angles over your belt there is nothing to grab. I have a HYVE mag extension on the 45 Shield so the grip is the same size as the govt model and it holds the same 8 + 1.
Of course round in chamber and the govt model cocked and locked.

A**hole#1

Fanatic
I carry my govt model in a straight drop holster on the left hip @10 o'clock and it angles forward into cross draw. The muzzle points past your left hip/leg so it is not suicidal and it's great for driving/sitting access to your firearm. It is also the most concealable carry position because you never "print" if you wear a nice loose shirt. If you bend over instead of printing, the shirt covers everything even more. The only worry is reaching up your shirt can ride up while grabbing something off a high shelf while shopping. (Attention Wallmart shoppers - armed domestic terrorist on aisle 7!) In the heat of summer I carry a 45 Shield in an IWB kydex holster this way with the holster in the belt but outside the pants. With the short barrel a tee shirt covers everything great and the pants are between you and the holster so I found it to be the most comfortable way to carry for summer sweat season. This doesn't work with a short grip handgun like a G26 because the way the grip angles over your belt there is nothing to grab. I have a HYVE mag extension on the 45 Shield so the grip is the same size as the govt model and it holds the same 8 + 1.
Of course round in chamber and the govt model cocked and locked.
I'm gonna try that. 90% of the time I carry appendix with or without a Streamlight attached. It's fast but not much in the way of comfortable. Like you I put mag extensions on my little guns, but I don't carry them much.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Tenicor Certum 3 on Kore Essentials belt (8# tactical belt with X7 buckle). Works great between belt and pants with a wedge. Carrying my Government is finally comfortable. A Commander/Glock17/SIG P220 is better but I like the Government.

8E980165-D60E-4965-ADEB-4D056E80E429.jpeg

067D2FF0-5609-4CE5-8B86-7D2E1CEFFAE7.jpeg

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
. The only worry is reaching up your shirt can ride up while grabbing something off a high shelf while shopping. (Attention Wallmart shoppers - armed domestic terrorist on aisle 7!)

There is a trick: use the support side hand for reaching high.

A**hole#1

Fanatic
Appendix at 2'o for a week now with a Vedder Light Tuck. Same setup and the same size as my Timberwolf but heavier. Doing the daily holster work and dry fire practice to get to use to unlocking and the trigger itself. Got to put 100 rnds thru it today and was real happy. Gun ran good. Good sitting and standing. Not bad for someone who is built like Elmer Fudd if I do say so myself.

Latest posts