Anyone remember these ?

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes.. According to info I found online, a guy in Illinois was upset the ammo producers wouldn't sell components to reload ammo, so he started importing components, selling them under the Alcan name. He started with shotgun components, (primers / powder / wads) then added rifle & pistol. components as hs business grew. Very popular in the 60's -early 80's. Supposedly the components came from Bofors, a munitions company in Sweden .
S&W actually bought Alcan & kept selling components under than name until the early 80's. One story I read was the Bofors plant had a fire that destroyed it & that ended the Alcan line.

.I believe I have some of their powder too.. Don't recall where I got the primers or powder, but I know I've had it for years.
If/ when I find it, I'll post another pic ..

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes.. According to info I found online, a guy in Illinois was upset the ammo producers wouldn't sell components to reload ammo, so he started importing components, selling them under the Alcan name. He started with shotgun components, (primers / powder / wads) then added rifle & pistol. components as hs business grew. Very popular in the 60's -early 80's. Supposedly the components came from Bofors, a munitions company in Sweden .
S&W actually bought Alcan & kept selling components under than name until the early 80's. One story I read was the Bofors plant had a fire that destroyed it & that ended the Alcan line.

.I believe I have some of their powder too.. Don't recall where I got the primers or powder, but I know I've had it for years.
If/ when I find it, I'll post another pic ..
Are the cans of powder squaty, kinda square with rounded edges? I think they were red, yellow, and maybe black. I was like 10 yrs old then, and I'm 69 now, so my mind can be a bit hazy.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
View attachment 28467
This is what I found in my stash.. I'd read online that they sold their powder in 8 oz., rather than 1 lb. containers... guess that's true.
A cardboard body with metal top & bottom.
I must be thinking of another powder. I remember those cans though. My dad had a Herters turret press, and also a Herters shotgun shell reloader. Man I wish I had them now. He was supposed to send me his reloading stuff after he moved to Texas, but it never happened. I miss him.

Latest posts