Any good places for 3 gun matches in Illinois

chgofirefighter

Active Fanatic
Living in Chicago, honestly SUCKS~! But do to my career I can't leave until I retire "someday." Looking to travel outside of Chicago in order to start in 3 gun matches, get familiar, associate with like minded inviduals, etc. Recommendations? Thanks guys~

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
DanB said:
Check out ASC and search Indiana Multi Gun. Also Beloit WI has some matches

Sent from my USCC-E6762 using Tapatalk
+1

ASC and Indiana MG are two that you can actually get into. Polo puts on great matches, but good luck getting in. When registration opens, there's usually less than 10-15 spots available and they literally sell out in seconds.

The only other club is Oak Park Sportsman's Club. I believe their matches are on the fifth Sunday of the months that have a fifth Sunday. All bay style matches there, where the longest distance is 25 yards. Some good technical stage designs though.

Indiana MG has matches almost every weekend if you're willing to drive. The two closest clubs they host matches at to the Chicago area are Porter County Conservation Club, and Bend of the River Conservation Club in Michigan. The rest are south in Indiana and too far for me to drive for a club match.

ASC puts on really good matches, and they have longer range stages. They'll have a 200 yard stage, along with a 600 yard stage. On the 600, the longest I've had to shoot was 505 yards. Lots of fun, and they'll make you run. There were some stages last year where after running the stage I felt like I was going to die lol.

I haven't started exploring the Wisconsin matches yet, and I'm assuming there are a lot up there.

chgofirefighter

Active Fanatic
DD78 said:
+1

ASC and Indiana MG are two that you can actually get into. Polo puts on great matches, but good luck getting in. When registration opens, there's usually less than 10-15 spots available and they literally sell out in seconds.

The only other club is Oak Park Sportsman's Club. I believe their matches are on the fifth Sunday of the months that have a fifth Sunday. All bay style matches there, where the longest distance is 25 yards. Some good technical stage designs though.

Indiana MG has matches almost every weekend if you're willing to drive. The two closest clubs they host matches at to the Chicago area are Porter County Conservation Club, and Bend of the River Conservation Club in Michigan. The rest are south in Indiana and too far for me to drive for a club match.

ASC puts on really good matches, and they have longer range stages. They'll have a 200 yard stage, along with a 600 yard stage. On the 600, the longest I've had to shoot was 505 yards. Lots of fun, and they'll make you run. There were some stages last year where after running the stage I felt like I was going to die lol.

I haven't started exploring the Wisconsin matches yet, and I'm assuming there are a lot up there.

Sorry for the naive question, what is ASC? Also, since I am new at starting at this sport and I'm no expert super fast marksman I just want to start slow and work my way up. Sure I have experience due to my military combat experience and service and also law enforcement background but that's totally a different aspects. I have already invested on an STI pistol "Marauder, Stoeger M3K and an Armalite 3 gun rifle, all these guns are being custom tuned to my liking by my gunsmith... I have to admit that this is not a cheap sport, lol~

DD78

Well-Known Fanatic
chgofirefighter said:
+1

Sorry for the naive question, what is ASC? Also, since I am new at starting at this sport and I'm no expert super fast marksman I just want to start slow and work my way up. Sure I have experience due to my military combat experience and service and also law enforcement background but that's totally a different aspects. I have already invested on an STI pistol "Marauder, Stoeger M3K and an Armalite 3 gun rifle, all these guns are being custom tuned to my liking by my gunsmith... I have to admit that this is not a cheap sport, lol~
ASC is Aurora Sportsman's Club. They're out in Waterman, IL. which is near Shabbona Lake.

If you're looking for a great club to practice at, it's literally the only place within driving distance that will let you shoot on the move, draw from the holster, and shoot out to 600 yards. It's a bit pricy, but with no other options around here, they're the only game in town to hone your 3 gun skills.

They put on anywhere from 4-6 3 gun matches per season. For the time being, the club is open membership, but will close eventually when they hit the cap. That's the problem around here though. There are other options, but the membership is closed to new members.

I'm a member out there so as long as there isn't a match going on, I'd meet you out there and bring you as my guest. While guests aren't allowed to draw or shoot on the move, or shoot out past 200 yards, you can at least get a good idea of what the place offers in the event you want to join.

chgofirefighter

Active Fanatic
DD78 said:
ASC is Aurora Sportsman's Club. They're out in Waterman, IL. which is near Shabbona Lake.

If you're looking for a great club to practice at, it's literally the only place within driving distance that will let you shoot on the move, draw from the holster, and shoot out to 600 yards. It's a bit pricy, but with no other options around here, they're the only game in town to hone your 3 gun skills.

They put on anywhere from 4-6 3 gun matches per season. For the time being, the club is open membership, but will close eventually when they hit the cap. That's the problem around here though. There are other options, but the membership is closed to new members.

I'm a member out there so as long as there isn't a match going on, I'd meet you out there and bring you as my guest. While guests aren't allowed to draw or shoot on the move, or shoot out past 200 yards, you can at least get a good idea of what the place offers in the event you want to join.

Thanks, I just emailed you~ I appreciate all the help

Joe_Michalek

Fanatic
You're in my neck of the woods so I understand the struggle. I have shot at the Beloit Rifle Club match, it's fun but expect pistol and shotgun only. They only have a small area designed for rifle so it's minimal (my last match was 1 220yrd rifle steel I hit on the first round. That was all!)

Aurora holds an excellent match (I just went to the one this past Sunday) and I would suggest you make that trip! They torture you with a 600 yard bay on the final stage.

I'm signed up to get into polo next month if you're gonna be there. That seems to be the super exclusive match in illinois

I know grunt style did a two gun run not that long ago, aurora does practical rifle once a month, oak park sportsman club does matches once a month and if you help setup Saturday you shoot free (USPSA), Maxon range does a combat shoot once a month on a Monday, Aurora also does a PCC 2 gun at pine tree pistol club every so often also

Latest posts