Ammo for a beginner

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
I think I have the general idea of rifle and pistol ammo, I'll most likely run wwb 9mm and pmc bronze in the rifle. I have yet to have any problems with either so it's some peace of mind knowing they won't let me down. For the shotgun what size shot is best? My plan was to spring for the Winchester AA line. Final question the shot count mike Cyrus has posted in the local match area is that still up to date for the May match?

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
AA's are dandy, really, the Walmart bulk packs are just fine too. That's what I usually use, or Federal Top Gun.
7 1/2 or 8 shot.

Round counts are good to go, but bring extra in case of reshoots or misses.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Gfercaks33 said:
I think I have the general idea of rifle and pistol ammo, I'll most likely run wwb 9mm and pmc bronze in the rifle. I have yet to have any problems with either so it's some peace of mind knowing they won't let me down. For the shotgun what size shot is best? My plan was to spring for the Winchester AA line. Final question the shot count mike Cyrus has posted in the local match area is that still up to date for the May match?
Yes, that round count is a safe rule of thumb. If you bring that, you should have some to take home for next time. If there's something that will change it, he will post it as soon as he knows. I doubt he has as any stages designed for the match already, so there's no way to know an actual round count at this point.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Plan on bringing the round count posted as the rule of thumb & you'll be set

If you do go AA route, wait until they start the annual rebate program if it hasn't already started it's getting close. 2.00/box off what you pay. Just look it up on their site

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
Jason I saw that and I didn't see anything for this year.

I have had the bad luck of buying a newer freedom group shotgun, I was sitting at a 30% failure to eject before I went to town with a dremel. I know the AA cycle flawlessly in mine and I have yet to try bulk or anything else.

Wally world federal is the next best thing and priced well. Seems like the aa promo starts around dove season?

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
AA's are dandy, really, the Walmart bulk packs are just fine too. That's what I usually use, or Federal Top Gun.
7 1/2 or 8 shot.
Round counts are good to go, but bring extra in case of reshoots or misses.
Field and target box?

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
JoeF said:
The $21 100 round bulk pack. Just make sure it's federal and not winchester
I literally buy wichever is the cheapest. Winchester runs fine in my M1. But then so does everything

posted via Tapatalk

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
the problem I found with the Winchester bulk is that my Benellis would rip the brass off, leaving the hulls in the chamber.
I've never had an issue with the federal bulk pack ammo. Both the #7 !/2 & #8 work great.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I've never had an issue with either, but I usually buy the federal just because I've heard from so many people that the winchester either have the brass deform or the crimp is bad and bulges a couple shells. Never seen it personally, but multiple people with the same story tells me something is up.

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
On jesses 7 1/2 & 8 shot are inter changeable and some one cracking a joke at it, can some one shed some light on it?

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Gfercaks33 said:
On jesses 7 1/2 & 8 shot are inter changeable and some one cracking a joke at it, can some one shed some light on it?
The shot sizes are so close it doesn't matter which you go with.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Gfercaks33 said:
Tony was joking. You'll never know the difference between 7, 7.5, or 8 shot. I buy which every is available.

Gfercaks33

Active Fanatic
I knew some one was joking I just didn't know who.

Thank you guys for taking time to answer all of my questions.

Latest posts