Aluminum frames for Glocks.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
If you have a Glock. Do you want a metal frame at all?
How about your Sig or Kahr?

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
If you have a Glock. Do you want a metal frame at all?
How about your Sig or Kahr?

Honestly I'm really happy we have so many choices. It gives us something to have a discourse about. Personally my very first 1911 was a Light Weight Commander in 45acp. I've had more them a couple since then. My friend shot full size 1911's and after I tried one of his I started shooting them. That man has forgotten more about guns than I will ever know. He is a fan of plastic guns, but still loves 1911's. Like I said I'm really we have such a wide choice.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I own Glocks and 1911's.

I like GUNS.

I like my bullet shooting plastic staple guns OK....no need for metal frames. They are what they are.

Plastic on a 1911 is blasphemy. I even replace Wilson 47D mag bases with aluminum and followers with Tripp Research steel followers.

NOTHING....made by anybody....can hold a candle to a 1911.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I own Glocks and 1911's.

I like GUNS.

I like my bullet shooting plastic staple guns OK....no need for metal frames. They are what they are.

Plastic on a 1911 is blasphemy. I even replace Wilson 47D mag bases with aluminum and followers with Tripp Research steel followers.

NOTHING....made by anybody....can hold a candle to a 1911.

Hello there, CE. Hey which Tripp follower are you using in replacement to Wilsons plastic follower in the 47D mag?

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Hello there, CE. Hey which Tripp follower are you using in replacement to Wilsons plastic follower in the 47D mag?
What is wrong with WC's plastic follower in the 47D mag? I am sure that Bill W. used the best product he could find for possible the best mag made for 1911's.
Why would you want to void the warranty? I have not ever seen a 47d fail. If there was a problem with the mag I would guess that Bill Wilson would fix the problem.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
What is wrong with WC's plastic follower in the 47D mag? I am sure that Bill W. used the best product he could find for possible the best mag made for 1911's.
Why would you want to void the warranty? I have not ever seen a 47d fail. If there was a problem with the mag I would guess that Bill Wilson would fix the problem.
I think again it comes down to personal choice when it comes to magazines. I use 7rd mags, either Colt or Springfield in my steel guns. I try to be a little more careful with my alloy guns with aluminum feed ramps. I use either Ed Brown Metalform or MecGar. These don't seem to beat up the feed ramps. I don't know what we did before the internet. I always used standard 7 rd Colt mags in my lightweight guns before, and I do not remember beating up the feed ramp with the mags. Maybe I'm as guilty as anyone else believing what someone else said on the net. I was told by Terry Tussy one time that if I worried about beating up the feed ramp use Silvertips. He's not the only smith that advised me to choose my ammo wisely. Sorry for rambling I tend to do that. Everyone stay safe, and enjoy this fine day we've been given.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I agree. It's a great mag and the follower is good too. I just don't like plastic anywhere on my 1911's. The Tripp followers work great in any magazine. I'm not concerned at all about a warranty. I've never had a 47D fail in any way.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree. It's a great mag and the follower is good too. I just don't like plastic anywhere on my 1911's. The Tripp followers work great in any magazine. I'm not concerned at all about a warranty. I've never had a 47D fail in any way.
I would trust Bill Wilson, if he is happy with a plastic follower then I would be happy with it. The guy that is building 2k-5k$ 1911's is not going to put a mag with their gun that does not work. I do not know of a person that has fired a gun to failure, will it take 200, 500,1000, 10000, 50000 100000+ rounds, I'm sure you know Mean time between failures (MTBF). What is the MTBF on that WC plastic follower/magazine? My bet is that you could not wear one out.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I would trust Bill Wilson, if he is happy with a plastic follower then I would be happy with it. The guy that is building 2k-5k$ 1911's is not going to put a mag with their gun that does not work. I do not know of a person that has fired a gun to failure, will it take 200, 500,1000, 10000, 50000 100000+ rounds, I'm sure you know Mean time between failures (MTBF). What is the MTBF on that WC plastic follower/magazine? My bet is that you could not wear one out.
That's not the point. I prefer metal. It's simply a personal preference. It works for me.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
That's not the point. I prefer metal. It's simply a personal preference. It works for me.

Mag followers are the contact point where a cartridge is fed into the chamber & they are super important.
Below is a picture of an Ithaca Model 37 12ga Pump shotgun you can see the shine on the metal follower.

All three of my Ithaca Mod 37 have metal followers that they came with & have never failed me.
Like the Rubber eraser in the Hornady CD rounds plastic does not wear smoothly into it's job as a follower.

Use what you want, I will stick to metal when it's applicable & will out perform Plastic.

1651750663698.png

Latest posts