Add a red dot to my 1911

Bradinga

New Fanatic
I have a stainless Colt Series 80 Mk IV Gold Cup that I love to shoot, but my eyes make it almost impossible to see the sights now. I had a fiber optic front sight installed but it's still not good enough. There are no provisions for mounting a red dot so I need any suggestions someone may have to add a red dot to my beauty. Thanks,

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
You may not like this idea, but it does work. I hate red dots! This is not cheap, a Crimson Trace LG401G.

You will see where that green laser hits and that is where your shot will be.
Check on ebay you might find one cheaper.

View attachment 25062
Not a fan of red dots either! Glad I'm not the only one.

Bradinga

New Fanatic
From these replies I take it no one likes red dots! So how many of you are 74 or older? Cataract surgery left me with little closeup focus - everything is blurry out to about 2 1/2 feet. I've had a Vortex Venom on my XDm 40 for about 4 years with zero problems. What I'm looking for are suggestions on how to mount the red dot. Thanks for your suggestions and opinions - I appreciate them.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
From these replies I take it no one likes red dots! So how many of you are 74 or older? Cataract surgery left me with little closeup focus - everything is blurry out to about 2 1/2 feet. I've had a Vortex Venom on my XDm 40 for about 4 years with zero problems. What I'm looking for are suggestions on how to mount the red dot. Thanks for your suggestions and opinions - I appreciate them.
There are many that like red dots. I'm sure someone will have an idea.
Good Luck, I hope it works for you.

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
I LIKE RED DOT SIGHTS.............Get the best, Trijicon RMR. If any have failed in normal use I've not heard of it and many have with stood serious torture tests. Not saying they can't, just saying it is REALLY rare. There are several 'smiths who will mill your slide to mount a Red Dot on your pistol. You want it close to the bore axis.
OR........you could just build another top end for your current pistol. Remsport/TR Enabling will provide the slide already cut to the sight of your choice, and several parts suppliers will furnish the rest. I've built two new top ends for a couple of my Colts that I wanted to keep the original slides for.
Like you I suffer from "old eyes" and after tritium fronts and fiber optic fronts I finally went to Red Dots. There is a learning curve but once you master the proper grip/presentation, you'll always find the dot and two eyes open with target focus is just what my eyes needed. Don't try fixed sight cuts and mounts as they put the sight too high. Also stay with one gun type (1911 or whatever your favorite is). Changing grip styles/angles will only lead to frustration when learning Red Dots.
As always, JMHO
TR

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I LIKE RED DOT SIGHTS.............Get the best, Trijicon RMR. If any have failed in normal use I've not heard of it and many have with stood serious torture tests. Not saying they can't, just saying it is REALLY rare. There are several 'smiths who will mill your slide to mount a Red Dot on your pistol. You want it close to the bore axis.
OR........you could just build another top end for your current pistol. Remsport/TR Enabling will provide the slide already cut to the sight of your choice, and several parts suppliers will furnish the rest. I've built two new top ends for a couple of my Colts that I wanted to keep the original slides for.
Like you I suffer from "old eyes" and after tritium fronts and fiber optic fronts I finally went to Red Dots. There is a learning curve but once you master the proper grip/presentation, you'll always find the dot and two eyes open with target focus is just what my eyes needed. Don't try fixed sight cuts and mounts as they put the sight too high. Also stay with one gun type (1911 or whatever your favorite is). Changing grip styles/angles will only lead to frustration when learning Red Dots.
As always, JMHO
TR
As always, JMHO
TR
Great response!

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
You might consider different options. Trijicon is the gold standard (I have the older dual illumination on a G17 with backup suppressor sights). It's the MOS version so has the slide already cut. As mentioned previously the best method is a milled slide with backup suppressor sights. The dual illumination can suffer target washout (bright target, dim surroundings); most of the 3rd generation RMRs have an auto-bright which solves this. Trijicon has not been without problems in their original series but the newer ones have largely solved this. Whatever you get, make sure you can change the battery without removing the sight.

It might be heresy but the Holosun 507c series is an excellent choice to consider as well (I had my reservations also). I've mounted one on the VP-40 with a dovetail mount (I'd not suggest this unless you have to because it precludes the backup irons). Many of my friends also have this series--it has an auto-off function as well as auto-bright and very long battery life. Mine and others have had excellent reliability with it. The NICE thing is that the reticle is very easy to acquire and you have different switching reticle choices in one of the versions (which are the easiest dots to acquire of any RMR I've used). One in particular is the large circle with center dot. The hardest thing to overcome is 'finding the dot' especially when shooting from non-conventional positions or around barricades. I'm not HUGELY concerned about the B/U sights in that the gun itself can be used as a course sight in very close encounters (most people IN these situations don't remember using the sights anyway).

The nice thing about a dot is that everything stays on the same focal plane so you can stick with target centered focus and it helps aging eyes. But it does take LOTS of training to employ well.

ONE OTHER OPTION that you might consider is the XS sight series--specifically the DXT big dots (which have a dot the I luminous representation). I like the white or green option. These are NOT target sights though (although they can be shot accurately with practice); they're more of a running and gunning type of thing used in clearing a building or a dynamic situation under bad environmentals. You can get these cheaper and I have a set on my Sig C3 carry gun.

Here's one type of setup of a dual illumination RMR with Trijicon backup sights (on a Glock)

IMG_0459.JPGIMG_0460.JPG

And the Holosun with dovetail mount on a VP-40 (again if you could go the milled slide route it's better but the striker block on a VP-40 presents a few challenges when doing this--it can still be done but the axle needs modified so I went the dovetail mount route).

IMG_1649.jpeg

Bradinga

New Fanatic
Wow! Great information for me to use when I make my final decision. I think having the slide milled is the way I'm going to go. Regardless of the war over series 70 vs series 80 I feel my series 80 is still worth the investment. It shoots 'lights out' for a (younger) friend of mine with good eyes and the trigger is as good as I could imagine or use. Thanks to all for the suggestions and info you've supplied - this is a great forum.

stevev331

Fanatic
You can add a red dot to your 1911. Just buy this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265563958902

And find a good machinist that can modify your slide. There are many red dots out there that can be mounted on this plate because they use the standard rmr pattern.

If you don't like the idea of having your original slide cut, just buy another from ebay, like a Rock Island slide, and have that slide cut for the rmr plate, then mated to your frame and barrel.

Just my 2 cents...

stevev331

Fanatic
FYI... I built a 2011 from an 80% frame that I love to shoot. The slide for that is at my gunsmith right now being cut for this exact plate. I am going to run a Trijicon SRO on it when complete.

If you are interested, I will post a pic of it when I get the slide back.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
FYI... I built a 2011 from an 80% frame that I love to shoot. The slide for that is at my gunsmith right now being cut for this exact plate. I am going to run a Trijicon SRO on it when complete.

If you are interested, I will post a pic of it when I get the slide back.
Yes! Pictures please.

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
One thing also to make sure of is test the gun with your carry ammo with the slide/RMR combo. An RMR adds mass to the slide. This USUALLY isn't a problem but might be with some types of slide/ammo combinations.

Latest posts