Active Gunman and Handgun License training for school staff

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Well, boys and girls, we're at it again. If you know someone who may be interested in this training or who would be willing to help, please spread the word.

This training will be available again in 2015. In the past the course was limited geographically to the Tulsa area, as that is where all of those of us involved in the program currently live. We're trying to change that (please see below). We want every employee of every Oklahoma school to have this training, and they won't pay a dime for it...ever.

If you have a teacher, bus driver, custodian, admin staff member, or other school employee in your life, please let them know about this. If a school or district wants to learn "in their house" we can make that work. We've done one class in-house at a private school recently, and are scheduled to do another for a public independent District in January. If someone doesn't want the SDA portion, it isn't required to receive the rest of the training.

They can visit this link for more information: https://www.facebook.com/OKsafeclassrooms

Training includes the following and is completed in a long day:

OK Handgun License Course
Concepts of armed and unarmed defense
Psychology of stress, the role of training, and the realities of violent encounters
Less lethal options
Improvised weapons
Noise & light discipline
Familiarization with a variety of short and long arms, including mechanical and improvised ways of rendering them safe
Hasty and improvised medical interventions
Interacting with law enforcement and EMS personnel post-event

Training: It works.

"Hey....got a kudos to pass along to you all.... My sis took the teacher training class on feb 5th. today they had a surpise lock down drill...they didn't come over the intercom with all clear...instead owasso pd went room by room quietly to verify they were doing as trained... When they entered her dark room she went into defense mode with her flashlight as trained...she stopped before kicking his ass but she did suprise him and bright him with the flashlight ... End result the trained officer was caught of guard much like a shooter would be... This is something she would have never considered prior to the class but had it been for real I have no doubt it would have saved lives... Right on to y'all for training pass it on please and let them know already that one class has made a difference! via- [Range] Member"

We want this training to be received by every school in the state. If you live in another state and want to sit in and get ideas for how to do this in your own state, you're welcome too.

What we need from the OK firearm community:
We need SDA Instructors willing to teach the class free of charge to school staff.
We need ranges willing to provide somewhere for the live fire portion of the class to be conducted free of charge to school staff.
We need people willing to volunteer and help present the material in schools or other venues.
We need advocates who are willing to push at the State and local (School Board, etc.) level for the recognition of the natural & Constitutional right to self defense in all places.

Please PM me with questions or if you're willing to help.Thank you!

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
Looked up ok safe schools but did not find anything that looked like this....everything was ok.gov type stuff...mostly tornado shelter stuff. Would like to be able to spread the word on this. Is there some official website?

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Thanks, Dennis.

I sort of fixed the link, Jeff. We don't have an official webpage. This is entirely a grassroots and 100% volunteer program. We definitely need a webpage and it's something the founder and I have discussed just doing on our own.

We appreciate everyone who helps spread the word. Hopefully this will never be needed, but if it does we have just three words that describe the purpose of this program: Preservation Of Life.

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the link, looks great. Glad to see you guys doing this. It makes me sick to think about how unprepared most schools (or businesses for that matter) are to deal with individuals bent on violence. I'm sure you will make a difference in the people you train.

dennishoddy

Michael Ray said:
Thanks, Dennis.

I sort of fixed the link, Jeff. We don't have an official webpage. This is entirely a grassroots and 100% volunteer program. We definitely need a webpage and it's something the founder and I have discussed just doing on our own.

We appreciate everyone who helps spread the word. Hopefully this will never be needed, but if it does we have just three words that describe the purpose of this program: Preservation Of Life.
You NEED a web page. Getting something like this organized state wide pretty much requires it.

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
Right now, our focus is on primary and secondary schools. That's not to say that we wouldn't offer it at the college level at some point, but right now we're only focused on K-12.

ETA: The cost is and always will be zero.

Latest posts