A Message From Federal, CCI, Speer And Remington President Jason Vanderbrink On Ammo Demand

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
OUTSTANDING for him to do this! Too many of the "gun people", "wear tin foil hats" and spend a lot of time looking for "black helicopters"!
Video said it all . record number of new gun buyers all wanting ammo , people buying everything they see , plus covid causing some short staffs and shipping delays . Perfect storm . My LGS and I were talking , he said a guy could sell everything he owns 9mm related , guns and ammo , at record high prices . Then when it gets back to normal , start over . That's how confident he is that manufacturers will catch up . History repeating itself .

sambob

New Fanatic
Here's a thought "stop hoarding"..1st It was toilet paper..now ammo WTF people this Is what drove the prices through the roof all the lemmings running around panicking.
Hell I gave up going to the range all year In all probability I won't get to one this year either because I simply can't afford to replace the ammo I'd shoot so here I sit on my meager little supply of bullets...and wait.
So what are you doing to help?
I'm also getting a laser target set up to at least keep some of my skills from completely drying up, until things come back from there trip from"STUPID TOWN"
Hey that's what I'm doing.(Just my 2cents)

Weisse52

Active Fanatic
I do not "hoard". I planned ahead and stock up on what I need to support my needs.

I do not point fingers at anyone for their personal decisions. Not sure why that's a one way street.

I have not purchased any Ammo since it went thru the roof. I will continue to shoot .22 at the same pace I always have. When the prices / supply comes back I will stock up again.

I will slow up on .45 / 9 / .38-.357. But I will shoot.

We all make our own decisions. YMMV

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Darn sure none bought here at today's inflated pricing, we got it in late Feb this year and reload and cast. Several of us have a group order in for a large amount of primers when they come back to normal pricing if ever till then we are stocked well, also shooting some 22 rf now so no hoarding here in our group just saw the light and prepared well for it.. A close friend is thinking about selling ammo and primers to fund a new Wilson! He could easily do it to. Back during obamma days I ordered 75000 sp primers and finally got a call to confirm shipment and got them, I took half to FT Worth Gun Show and rest were free for me. All sold in under 1 hour.bullet.jpg

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
Video said it all . record number of new gun buyers all wanting ammo , people buying everything they see , plus covid causing some short staffs and shipping delays . Perfect storm . My LGS and I were talking , he said a guy could sell everything he owns 9mm related , guns and ammo , at record high prices . Then when it gets back to normal , start over . That's how confident he is that manufacturers will catch up . History repeating itself .
Good info.
Though one topic the video did NOT address: prices & profits. (FACT - I want ammo companies to prosper as any business should, and they must be profitable now & over the long haul as well !)
Making more ammo should bring more profit. Costs may impact the higher demand too: hiring, training, some materials prices, etc. So mfg's may have to raise prices some...
But at the end-user level, prices have tripled; 9mm was $10/50 rds, now $30/50 rds. Are Retail stores tripling prices, are Wholesalers and/or Distributors tripling prices?
'Hoarding' and 'price gouging' both have definitely had an effect. But triple ?

Any other explanations or comments?

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Ammo companies are " for profit corporations " . For the most part they are publicly traded , with shareholders and a board of directors , not charitable organizations . If the managers , CEO's , etc. don't charge what the market will bear , they'll be replaced . No different than Exxon , BP , or any other big business . All you can do to negate some of the pain is buy their stock when low .

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Excellent video!! So glad to see a corporate "suit" not appear as we always assume they would be. Jason Vanderbrink is a regular guy who just happens to be President of a major ammunition distribution company! Very cool... Makes me want to stock up on Federal (already have), Speer (already have), and if I could get my hands on more, I would....

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
I just picked up a Springfield RO elite in 45acp the other day. Went to the range and only shot 3 mags because of the damm hoarding. It was awesome pretty much one ragged hole . God bless John Moses Browning.

Attachments

• 9AB38FC0-CF6E-4979-92BE-A00FE400B8D1.jpeg
    9AB38FC0-CF6E-4979-92BE-A00FE400B8D1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • 4C00DB44-AB6C-4E26-94A5-DF44B28C07F3.jpeg
    4C00DB44-AB6C-4E26-94A5-DF44B28C07F3.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
  • BEF4F14C-E5A6-49BB-AE4B-D35F749FD674.jpeg
    BEF4F14C-E5A6-49BB-AE4B-D35F749FD674.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't think hoarding is the reason, maybe a small part of it, but I think the shortages are caused mostly by all the hundreds of millions of new 1st time gun buyers. and when you buy a gun, you buy ammo for it. between them and others who saw this coming and re supplied. the ammo companies couldn't keep up with the new higher demands.
I'm like many others on here, I keep a comfortable supply, to get past the high priced/unavailable times, then restock.

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
@ Mike Galway Good points, but there still is Corporate image and PR that the companies consider. You may be exactly correct and know it. I am just trying to confirm who was 'driving' the price increase. (My 'guess' had been, it was the 'for profit' Wholesalers &/or Retailers, but I'm not familiar with the ammo industry at all, )
I don't think we saw Toilet Paper prices go through the roof. It was hard to find, but not triple the price - was it?
Was I just not paying attention to the prices because TP IS essential ;-) ?
Did your LGS confirm it was only manufacturers - or did all in the supply chain all raise their prices for higher profit% ?
Demand across the board, was driven by massive customer increases including 'orientals', 'newbies', ladies, hoarding panic & entrepreneurs.
Thanks for the expertise in helping me understand.
;-)

Last edited:

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
A lot of new gun owners believe that paying the price for high dollar ammo is the norm. Was at a local indoor range/gun shop. 7 folks in line to purchase new firearms, 5 first time buyers, was crazy.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
I think video is spot on . We're in the middle of a "perfect storm " . Of course there's some profiteering going on . One LGS I frequent is selling Tulammo primers for $10.00 per 100 , another sold me CCI primers for $4.00 per hundred . Says a lot . Is the first LGS gouging or did he pay a high price to get them ?He's also got plenty of 9mm at $25.00 per 50 count box . All one can do is watch where you shop and think hard about what you're willing to pay , and who gets your business when things get back to normal , and they will .