A little about me.

Sailorman

New Fanatic
I fell in love with the 1911 when I was 10 or 11. We had a WW2 tin can sailor staying with us and he had his Service pistol. He taught me to take it down to a pile of parts and then reassemble it. I loved that old gun. I never got to fire it but I fulfilled the promise I made to myself about 50 years later and bought a Rock Island 1911 Government model. I was very disappointed. It didn't look or feel or smell or rattle like that old Navy 45. It was the first handgun I ever fired. After a couple thousand rounds it works well.

A couple of years ago I bought a 1911 in 9mm because I thought my wife might like shooting it. She didn't. She used to compete with black powder revolvers. She talked me into a Kimber K6 357 because it's a revolver. She liked it with. 38's in it. Shortly after, she got sick and never got better. Last October she got covid, went into the hospital and they killed her.

My name is Dave and I just turned 69 on D-day. I have managed to slip under the wire and escape from the People's Republic of Kommiefornia for a couple of months. I'm currently near Johnson City in eastern Tennessee visiting family. I have no intention of going back except to pick up my stuff and move it here. I'm dragging my 21 ft travel trailer around the country a bit. I have tools and parts to build things. I enjoy building 80% AR's and Glocks. They are simple and keep me busy. When I get settled here I will be looking for 80% 1911's. From what I've seen, I will need more than a hand drill and a plastic jig.

In addition to guns, I served in the Air Force working on Hound Dog missiles. Then spent 23 years working on submarines for the Navy until Clinton closed the shipyard. At that time I became a commercial/industrial electrician until retiring a couple years ago. My wife and I raced sailboats in San Francisco Bay and the ocean for about 25 years. That was a blast!

Aren't you sorry you asked?

Attachments

• 20150826_064723.jpg
    20150826_064723.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20170513_194336.jpg
    20170513_194336.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I fell in love with the 1911 when I was 10 or 11. We had a WW2 tin can sailor staying with us and he had his Service pistol. He taught me to take it down to a pile of parts and then reassemble it. I loved that old gun. I never got to fire it but I fulfilled the promise I made to myself about 50 years later and bought a Rock Island 1911 Government model. I was very disappointed. It didn't look or feel or smell or rattle like that old Navy 45. It was the first handgun I ever fired. After a couple thousand rounds it works well.

A couple of years ago I bought a 1911 in 9mm because I thought my wife might like shooting it. She didn't. She used to compete with black powder revolvers. She talked me into a Kimber K6 357 because it's a revolver. She liked it with. 38's in it. Shortly after, she got sick and never got better. Last October she got covid, went into the hospital and they killed her.

My name is Dave and I just turned 69 on D-day. I have managed to slip under the wire and escape from the People's Republic of Kommiefornia for a couple of months. I'm currently near Johnson City in eastern Tennessee visiting family. I have no intention of going back except to pick up my stuff and move it here. I'm dragging my 21 ft travel trailer around the country a bit. I have tools and parts to build things. I enjoy building 80% AR's and Glocks. They are simple and keep me busy. When I get settled here I will be looking for 80% 1911's. From what I've seen, I will need more than a hand drill and a plastic jig.

In addition to guns, I served in the Air Force working on Hound Dog missiles. Then spent 23 years working on submarines for the Navy until Clinton closed the shipyard. At that time I became a commercial/industrial electrician until retiring a couple years ago. My wife and I raced sailboats in San Francisco Bay and the ocean for about 25 years. That was a blast!

Never sorry to hear someone else's story. Thank you for sharing, and welcome home sir. Glad you are here. From West Michigan, home of the always evil crone gretchen whichmer. What an absolute worthless pig!

My apology to pigs every where.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
No. ;)

Welcome to the Good ship Lollie Pop. :eek:
You will fit right in here with this motley crew with white beards.

Good to meet ya & never go back to living behind enemy lines.
I shot my first 1911 at 10 years old, in a Dump outside Ft Clayton Panama. Warf rats big as cats kept the MPs happy shooting them with the 1911.

news day GIF

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the forum. Condolences for your wife. Thank you for sharing your story.
Deepest regrets to you for your wife. For what It's worth, I agree with your assessment of her untimely death. May God be with you, and may your wife rest in eternal peace.

Sailorman

New Fanatic
No. ;)

Welcome to the Good ship Lollie Pop. :eek:
You will fit right in here with this motley crew with white beards.

Good to meet ya & never go back to living behind enemy lines.
I shot my first 1911 at 10 years old, in a Dump outside Ft Clayton Panama. Warf rats big as cats kept the MPs happy shooting them with the 1911.

news day GIF

Dare I say....Squeal like a pig?
Thank you, Bob

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Welcome from Eastern NC. I enjoyed reading your story except for the part about the loss of your wife. My condolences.

Thank-you for your service.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the site, & greeting from S.E. Mi..
Bought my 1st 1911 after my "short tour" in the USN ('72-'76) then another year or so, assigned to a USMC reserve unit..(ex-HM2)
spent almost 15 yrs in San Diego, (- 2 yrs in Japan) always a welcome for an old canoe-club member.
1911's are a lot like potato chips.. hard to stop, after you have your 1st one.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Welcome from Northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

Latest posts