A Gunners Future. Buy, Sell, or Trade?

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Are you asking if we should sell our Primers etc. we got for $10.00 a thousand, today when they are over $100.00 up?
There are things you must never sell, things that will do us no good in the future. The question arose to me after visiting a neighbor. A 55-gallon drum of 22LR
ammo. Really? This guy is 77 years old, no relatives. I asked him if had a plan, he looked at me and said he never thought about it.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Went to a large gun show today. Very disappointed. Tonnes of AR's, AK's. AR Kits, lower to mid-grade pistols, & lots of knives and chink junk.
Where is the wood and steel? Found only one S&W pistol(I maybe should have bought). A NIB 422 for $500. Oh well, maybe next time.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Good return for sure. I'm keeping sentimental arms, and a few that keep climbing in value. It's thinning the herd a bit, but nothing major. I ordered a cheap Taylor not long ago. More a curiosity to see how well a cheap pistol performs.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
If it's an Armscorp ? Rock Island Armory, & you've never owned one..you may be in nfor a surprise.
I've owned a couple RIA 1911's ..they function better than most who haven't owned one would imagine.
My RIA Officer sized (3.5" barrel, is quite accurate & very reliable.
My 5" 9mm was accurate & reliable enough for me to try the 3.5" 45..
I'd be shooting that 5" RIA a lot more, if I hadn't found & bought my Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm..

dennishoddy

I've actually addressed this issue. Two Sons from a previous marriage 33 years ago deserve to get something from me when I pass which will probably be ahead of my wife who is much younger.
I learned this lesson from an uncle previously mentioned that was the only gun fan in our family.
When he passed his second wife had an auction for his possessions some of which were prior to the marriage. When his children asked if they could get a few things for memories, she replied, only if you buy them at the auction. :mad:
She could have allowed them to get a few things for the memories but didn't.
If I pass ahead of my wife, the kids get to go through all of my personal possessions spelled out in the will like guns, ammo, boats, gun safes, machinery in the shop or whatever they want.
When they get what they want, the rest is to be sold at auction with the proceeds given to the sons.
Wife is happy with that arrangement, so we got it all written up in the wills.
If you don't have one, get a will drawn up and specify what you want done with your guns, etc .
Otherwise, the state will decide to do what they want with them in a probate court.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
If it's an Armscorp ? Rock Island Armory, & you've never owned one..you may be in nfor a surprise.
I've owned a couple RIA 1911's ..they function better than most who haven't owned one would imagine.
My RIA Officer sized (3.5" barrel, is quite accurate & very reliable.
My 5" 9mm was accurate & reliable enough for me to try the 3.5" 45..
I'd be shooting that 5" RIA a lot more, if I hadn't found & bought my Springfield Loaded Target in 9mm..

I've actually addressed this issue. Two Sons from a previous marriage 33 years ago deserve to get something from me when I pass which will probably be ahead of my wife who is much younger.
I learned this lesson from an uncle previously mentioned that was the only gun fan in our family.
When he passed his second wife had an auction for his possessions some of which were prior to the marriage. When his children asked if they could get a few things for memories, she replied, only if you buy them at the auction. :mad:
She could have allowed them to get a few things for the memories but didn't.
If I pass ahead of my wife, the kids get to go through all of my personal possessions spelled out in the will like guns, ammo, boats, gun safes, machinery in the shop or whatever they want.
When they get what they want, the rest is to be sold at auction with the proceeds given to the sons.
Wife is happy with that arrangement, so we got it all written up in the wills.
If you don't have one, get a will drawn up and specify what you want done with your guns, etc .
Otherwise, the state will decide to do what they want with them in a probate court.
Good advice! It makes all of us think and plan ahead as we should. My Dad had a 25 year old will & many things had changed over the years. What a mess,
fortunately my Sister and l got along well. She wanted no Arms, ammo, or anything to do with shooting so l got it. So, it's also good keeping an updated Will.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Went to a large gun show today. Very disappointed. Tonnes of AR's, AK's. AR Kits, lower to mid-grade pistols, & lots of knives and chink junk.
Where is the wood and steel? Found only one S&W pistol(I maybe should have bought). A NIB 422 for $500. Oh well, maybe next time.
I used to go to every gun show that Grand Rapids had. Used to are the key words. Got to be a joke, and gave up on them. Mason was pretty good too, but stopped going there too. A lot of junk, same crap folks had been trying to sell for years, just higher prices. Got burned out as I've gotten older. John Conner used to write the Gun Crank Diaries for American Handgunner. He wrote an article about gun shows that was spot on, and incredibly funny! Gun Broker is now Gun Joker, everyone thinks their stuff is worth a fortune, but if I'd try to sell any of mine, I would find people thought the same of me. Maybe I'm just getting more cynical as I get older? I've said I could sell half of what I have now, and never miss it. Wait, what am I saying? If I sold it, I'd just replace it with more stuff I didn't need, that I payed way too much for! A vicious circle for sure. :)

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I used to go to every gun show that Grand Rapids had. Used to are the key words. Got to be a joke, and gave up on them. Mason was pretty good too, but stopped going there too. A lot of junk, same crap folks had been trying to sell for years, just higher prices. Got burned out as I've gotten older. John Conner used to write the Gun Crank Diaries for American Handgunner. He wrote an article about gun shows that was spot on, and incredibly funny! Gun Broker is now Gun Joker, everyone thinks their stuff is worth a fortune, but if I'd try to sell any of mine, I would find people thought the same of me. Maybe I'm just getting more cynical as I get older? I've said I could sell half of what I have now, and never miss it. Wait, what am I saying? If I sold it, I'd just replace it with more stuff I didn't need, that I payed way too much for! A vicious circle for sure. :)
Your not the only one Bob. I went to hundreds of gun shows & found some very interesting treasures over the years.
Gun shows in the 80s 90s & early 2000s were much different than todays shows, I read on other forums shooters delight in $130 for a thousand (Brick).

Man to go from $10.00 for 1000 primers & $10 for a pound of powder, to today is indeed future shock for me.

Wanna make some money you old guys with cool toys? Got an old tackle box with lures your dads gave you from back in the day?
Go to https://ibuyoldfishinglures.com/ :eek: You must be kidding? I have some old lures that are worth some money.

When I look at certain luers my Dad gave me get relive times my Dad & I went fishing overseas. Memories are in your head & most of these
huge balsa wood lures are heavy and made for salt water use. Some new in the box for $10,000 & up :oops:. Whos got the money to buy these?

There are many things we have cashed away that we can sell today, just look on the Internet & ebay to get ideas on what you have & what you can offer it for.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Too bad all my old motorcycles haven't appreciated.. reason ? I think there are way too many old m/cs that people don't want to own .
My newest bike is a 2003 ? 2004 ? KLX 400 (dirt bike) newest street bike is '98 VTR 1000 (sportbike) usual rides are '95 ST 1100 (sport tourer)
94 Harley Convert. '79 Harley FXEF or '86 GL1200 A.. then there all the others, which are older..
According to Craigslist, my bikes should be worth a small fortune.:eek:

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Your not the only one Bob. I went to hundreds of gun shows & found some very interesting treasures over the years.
Gun shows in the 80s 90s & early 2000s were much different than todays shows, I read on other forums shooters delight in $130 for a thousand (Brick).

Man to go from $10.00 for 1000 primers & $10 for a pound of powder, to today is indeed future shock for me.

Wanna make some money you old guys with cool toys? Got an old tackle box with lures your dads gave you from back in the day?
Go to https://ibuyoldfishinglures.com/ :eek: You must be kidding? I have some old lures that are worth some money.

When I look at certain luers my Dad gave me get relive times my Dad & I went fishing overseas. Memories are in your head & most of these
huge balsa wood lures are heavy and made for salt water use. Some new in the box for $10,000 & up :oops:. Whos got the money to buy these?

There are many things we have cashed away that we can sell today, just look on the Internet & ebay to get ideas on what you have & what you can offer it for.
Lol...My Dad had some wooden duck decoys in the attic(poor Shape) When we had the estate sale, I was totally shocked. They averaged $175 ea. I should have asked the buyers if they wanted to buy some Ocean front property in North Dakota. He had some silver dollars and we looked them up as to what they were worth. They brought just about twice what they were worth. I guess I just don't understand.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Lol...My Dad had some wooden duck decoys in the attic(poor Shape) When we had the estate sale, I was totally shocked. They averaged $175 ea. I should have asked the buyers if they wanted to buy some Ocean front property in North Dakota. He had some silver dollars and we looked them up as to what they were worth. They brought just about twice what they were worth. I guess I just don't understand.
People are goofy! Unfortunately I fall into that category too. Impulse buys through the years add up to what did I do that for? Oh yeah, it sounded good at the time. :cool:

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
People are goofy! Unfortunately I fall into that category too. Impulse buys through the years add up to what did I do that for? Oh yeah, it sounded good at the time. :cool:
Lol...One would think after all these years I would catch on. Many times after an auction I've asked myself, now why the hell did I buy that? But, not as bad as it used to be.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Too bad all my old motorcycles haven't appreciated.. reason ? I think there are way too many old m/cs that people don't want to own .
My newest bike is a 2003 ? 2004 ? KLX 400 (dirt bike) newest street bike is '98 VTR 1000 (sportbike) usual rides are '95 ST 1100 (sport tourer)
94 Harley Convert. '79 Harley FXEF or '86 GL1200 A.. then there all the others, which are older..
According to Craigslist, my bikes should be worth a small fortune.:eek:

I had one back in 71 like this & paid 100 bucks for it. I must admit the carbs needed rebuilt so since I was the Mechanic I rebuilt them & sold
it for $250. It was so ugly the girls in Muscle cars flipped me off LOL. Look at what this beauty is worth today.

Some however I wished I still had today.

Mine was ragged by the time I sold it LOL.

@joepistol I see what you mean about old Harleys the prices are way too good today.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
My wifes 1966 Dart GT all original including top(but not the back window). 97k miles Window sticker $3,400
Can you imagine how many 1911's that would buy? I really would like a Cabot 1911. On my bucket list.

Attachments

• IMG_20200516_165737293_HDR_2 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200516_165737293_HDR_2 (1).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Latest posts