A DCM 1911A1 Remington Rand

cxm

Active Fanatic
A while back I got one of the 1911 pistols being sold by the DCM. The purchase process is complex... even convoluted and you have to jump through hoops... but given the 1911 Colt from 1942 I got I thought I got a good deal. The pistol a twice refurbished early WWII Colt. It looks really nice with a light gray parkerized finish.

After seeing that Colt Mrs. CXM decided she would like a GI 1911 as well (her 1911s are all various flavors of modern 1911 type pistols. So with that in mind she gathered up the voluminous amount of paperwork required to actually apply to buy one of the DCM guns. Finally, with all the papers in hand Mrs. CXM sent in her application for the second round of the DCM's 1911 drawing some months ago and heard absolutely nothing in the interim. Then about three months ago she got an email saying she had a number drawn. Again nothing heard until early last week when she got an email that her number had come up and she could buy a 1911 and to please call them. This was a pleasant surprise to be sure.

So bright and early on Monday of last week she called and asked for one from the highest condition group. She was dismayed to learn only the lowest grade was available (I don't know if that meant all the higher guns were gone, or if it meant that was all of the guns currently inspected on hand at that time.) Anyway she said ok, and crossed her fingers.

The gun arrived at our LGS on Thursday and she picked it up.

She came home with a very nice high quality plastic carry case and a well used Remington-Rand 1911A1.

tRsUN1X.jpg

At first glance the old Remington looked pretty tired.

PxUynUH.jpg

The finish is well worn, BUT it seems to be mostly holster wear. Clearly the gun has seen a lot of use since in was built in 1945.

T3XytuK.jpg

Upon further examination, there is no rust and no damage to the gun... all the parts are in good condition and everything works.

0Wzzeov.jpg

The grips are original GI plastic. The left panel has a chip around the lower mounting screw hole but it is minor. I have several sets of GI plastic grips I can install, but with the gun being a working gun I think new ones would be somewhat out of place. For the moment I have just put a set of new grips in the box so they will be handy if needed.

SvyxXG8.jpg

Upon further examination I was surprised to find the slide and frame are both Remington-Rand. On a Rack Grade DCM gun I just expected a mix master gun... a nice surprise in fact. At first I didn't notice but behind the top edge of the right grip panel is a very lightly struck Ordnance Corps crest, the light strike not being unusual on WWII produced guns.

The gun arrived with an unmarked new production seven round magazine. I have a few WWII production magazines around and after digging around in the box of 1911 mags I found a S (for Scovil made) marked magazine with wear about like that of the gun so them made a good match which also went into the box.

Next, I stripped the gun down and cleaned it thoroughly. In fact the gun really didn't need cleaning much at all. Someone cleaned the gun well before turning it in. I then greased the moving parts well and oiled the rest of the gun. You can see grease in the photos where it has leaked out of the gun... the brown stuff is grease... not rust.

In the end she got a nice surprise from the DCM. I think this gun is more desirable than my re parkerized and mutiple rebuilt Colt... but I'm sure lots of people would not agree with that.

FWIW

Chuck

MILSPEC-45

Fanatic
She did well! Looks like the same condition as my CMP Service grade 1944 RR . Luck of the draw I guess.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
A while back I got one of the 1911 pistols being sold by the DCM. The purchase process is complex... even convoluted and you have to jump through hoops... but given the 1911 Colt from 1942 I got I thought I got a good deal. The pistol a twice refurbished early WWII Colt. It looks really nice with a light gray parkerized finish.

After seeing that Colt Mrs. CXM decided she would like a GI 1911 as well (her 1911s are all various flavors of modern 1911 type pistols. So with that in mind she gathered up the voluminous amount of paperwork required to actually apply to buy one of the DCM guns. Finally, with all the papers in hand Mrs. CXM sent in her application for the second round of the DCM's 1911 drawing some months ago and heard absolutely nothing in the interim. Then about three months ago she got an email saying she had a number drawn. Again nothing heard until early last week when she got an email that her number had come up and she could buy a 1911 and to please call them. This was a pleasant surprise to be sure.

So bright and early on Monday of last week she called and asked for one from the highest condition group. She was dismayed to learn only the lowest grade was available (I don't know if that meant all the higher guns were gone, or if it meant that was all of the guns currently inspected on hand at that time.) Anyway she said ok, and crossed her fingers.

She came home with a very nice high quality plastic carry case and a well used Remington-Rand 1911A1.

tRsUN1X.jpg

PxUynUH.jpg

The finish is well worn, BUT it seems to be mostly holster wear. Clearly the gun has seen a lot of use since in was built in 1945.

T3XytuK.jpg

Upon further examination, there is no rust and no damage to the gun... all the parts are in good condition and everything works.

0Wzzeov.jpg

The grips are original GI plastic. The left panel has a chip around the lower mounting screw hole but it is minor. I have several sets of GI plastic grips I can install, but with the gun being a working gun I think new ones would be somewhat out of place. For the moment I have just put a set of new grips in the box so they will be handy if needed.

SvyxXG8.jpg

Upon further examination I was surprised to find the slide and frame are both Remington-Rand. On a Rack Grade DCM gun I just expected a mix master gun... a nice surprise in fact. At first I didn't notice but behind the top edge of the right grip panel is a very lightly struck Ordnance Corps crest, the light strike not being unusual on WWII produced guns.

The gun arrived with an unmarked new production seven round magazine. I have a few WWII production magazines around and after digging around in the box of 1911 mags I found a S (for Scovil made) marked magazine with wear about like that of the gun so them made a good match which also went into the box.

Next, I stripped the gun down and cleaned it thoroughly. In fact the gun really didn't need cleaning much at all. Someone cleaned the gun well before turning it in. I then greased the moving parts well and oiled the rest of the gun. You can see grease in the photos where it has leaked out of the gun... the brown stuff is grease... not rust.

In the end she got a nice surprise from the DCM. I think this gun is more desirable than my re parkerized and mutiple rebuilt Colt... but I'm sure lots of people would not agree with that.

FWIW
I started the process, got Poed and quit. Glad to see you had the patience to see it through....Looks great congratulations!

LoneOak

Fanatic
I knew all about getting a CMP gun but I am unfamiliar with DCM. What is that?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The Office of the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) was created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations Act.
We got our M1s by going through the DCM for $146.00. Had to shoot a DCM High Power match & go through back ground checks to qualify.
They also gave free M2 ball to those who wanted to shoot matches. You could also buy M2 for 16 cents a round in 8 rd. En Bloc clips.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic

tRsUN1X.jpg

PxUynUH.jpg

T3XytuK.jpg

0Wzzeov.jpg

SvyxXG8.jpg

FWIW

Chuck
That is a GREAT find. Congratulations!

cxm

Active Fanatic
So basically it is still the CMP. Doing a google search for DCM all the links go to the CMP.

I guess I have gotten stodgy in my old age... You are right the DCM became the CMP some years ago. The reasons are a bit involved but basically, the DCM received appropriated funds and the CMP does not. As military budgets tightened the Army was no longer willing to seek appropriated funds to support the DCM nor did it want to spare personnel to assign to the DCM.

The result was the CMP which is a government 'non-appropriated fund instrumentality.' That is to say it is self supporting agency whose funding comes mostly from the sale of surplus military rifles, ammunition and other items. This is the reason the prices of rifles went up so much when the DCM became the CMP... it now has to pay it's own way and gets no tax dollars.

One day the supply of M1 rifles (mostly, and a few other things they get from time to time such as the M1 carbines, M1917 rifles etc.) will run out and that will likely be the end of the CMP because it won't be able to support it's self.

FWIW

Chuck

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess I have gotten stodgy in my old age... You are right the DCM became the CMP some years ago. The reasons are a bit involved but basically, the DCM received appropriated funds and the CMP does not. As military budgets tightened the Army was no longer willing to seek appropriated funds to support the DCM nor did it want to spare personnel to assign to the DCM.

The result was the CMP which is a government 'non-appropriated fund instrumentality.' That is to say it is self supporting agency whose funding comes mostly from the sale of surplus military rifles, ammunition and other items. This is the reason the prices of rifles went up so much when the DCM became the CMP... it now has to pay it's own way and gets no tax dollars.

One day the supply of M1 rifles (mostly, and a few other things they get from time to time such as the M1 carbines, M1917 rifles etc.) will run out and that will likely be the end of the CMP because it won't be able to support it's self.

FWIW

Chuck

FWIW

Chuck
I say the Military Surplus should be "GIVEN" back to "We the People" who bought the military equipment in the first place. The Government came up with the draft, this type of program could be incorporated to offer this equipment to the Non-Felon American Taxpayer's using the ATF. Furthermore , DCM is auctioning M1's and equipment which should be a further insult each and every American Tax-Payer.

Last edited:

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice RR you did well.
Mine from CMP has been re Arsenal ANAD 2-76. RR slide / RR frame mfg 1945

Personally this military equipment should be offered to the Vets First & Free of Charge.. Checks could be conducted by the ATF(as they are now with new gun purchase).. Then offer the equipment to the Tax-Payers who bought the equipment via Lottery type system. DCM/CDP selling this equipment on Auction is Bullsheet.

cxm

Active Fanatic
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen...

Personally this military equipment should be offered to the Vets First & Free of Charge.. Checks could be conducted by the ATF(as they are now with new gun purchase).. Then offer the equipment to the Tax-Payers who bought the equipment via Lottery type system. DCM/CDP selling this equipment on Auction is Bullsheet.

Latest posts