a correction on my Travel Alert Scam

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic

a correction on my Travel Scam alert

Color me embarrassed.. I was / am wrong.
The travel tax I believed to be a scam, isn't.
It's a real Mexican govt. tax.

Once home, where I had reliable internet, ( I had a LOT of internet issues @ the resort, had their IT person @ our villa repeatedly, trying to get it to work properly)
I did some searching & learned that, yes, the tax is real. Found this in my search..

"It's a relatively new addition to the tourist system in Quintana Roo. It was originally brought in back in April 2021 and required all tourists over the age of four entering the state to pay a tax of 241 pesos ($12 USD) before going on to enjoy their vacation."

Due to Covid, we hadn't visited Cancun in 2020 or 2021.

As I did mention, the tax hasn't been publicized well, perhaps due to this, some (many ?) aren't aware of the need to pay it.
Evidenced by no one knowing of it's existence, that I asked. One website said the tax was implemented to generate funds for "tourist infrastructure "... whatever that may be.

In my search for info about the tax, I also found this :
" There have not been any reports of tourists being punished for avoiding the tax, and many tourists claim they have never been questioned on whether they have or not. But with the new methods being implemented in the coming months, it is possible (and likely) that airport officials may become stricter in their enforcement."

I'm embarrassed , feeling like the kid who was yelling, " the sky is falling" in calling this a scam.
I posted my concern on several websites, and now will post what I'm writing here, so the truth will be known, despite this tarnishing my credibility.

You have my apology for spreading false allegations on the tax being a scam.
Joe

Latest posts