9mm vs 45acp

dennishoddy

This discussion is just like what is better, 30-06 vs .270 or .308.
Every danged one will kill ya. I guess the current vogue is high capacity vs single stack so one can have more rounds.
Unfortunately in a gunfight, a perfect sight picture/grip/stance isn't always possible so the higher round count probably wins the argument.
I absolutely love the .45 ACP in my 1911's. My wife loves that caliber more than her 9mm and took her CC class with my 1911 competition pistol.
I do keep 10 round Wilson mags in the Kimber with one more in the chamber which destroys the beautiful lines of the 1911, but I'm going for round count.
Buddy is an Oklahoma High Patrolman. He was engaged in a gunfight caught on video several years ago.
When he exited his cruiser after a traffic stop, the guy stepped out with a shotgun and fired, missing him.
Buddy got behind the cruiser, never raising his head and emptied his 9mm in the direction of the guy with the shotgun who got back into his vehicle and left the area.
Buddy chased him down country roads until he lost him in the dust, finally seeing where he bailed, leaving the vehicle. Backup arrived and a search was started. One shot rang out in the night so they decided to back out until daylight.
Seems the one shot was the shotgun guy swallowing the barrel and pulling the trigger. Incident over.
I guess the gist of my long story is that capacity is king.
My friend laid down covering fire without exposing himself that the perp didn't want to advance into without exposing himself and is alive to this day.
You don't see our military getting downsized magazines. In my day standard issue was 20 rounds, today 30 rounds is standard.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
This discussion is just like what is better, 30-06 vs .270 or .308.
Every danged one will kill ya. I guess the current vogue is high capacity vs single stack so one can have more rounds.
Unfortunately in a gunfight, a perfect sight picture/grip/stance isn't always possible so the higher round count probably wins the argument.
I absolutely love the .45 ACP in my 1911's. My wife loves that caliber more than her 9mm and took her CC class with my 1911 competition pistol.
I do keep 10 round Wilson mags in the Kimber with one more in the chamber which destroys the beautiful lines of the 1911, but I'm going for round count.
Buddy is an Oklahoma High Patrolman. He was engaged in a gunfight caught on video several years ago.
When he exited his cruiser after a traffic stop, the guy stepped out with a shotgun and fired, missing him.
Buddy got behind the cruiser, never raising his head and emptied his 9mm in the direction of the guy with the shotgun who got back into his vehicle and left the area.
Buddy chased him down country roads until he lost him in the dust, finally seeing where he bailed, leaving the vehicle. Backup arrived and a search was started. One shot rang out in the night so they decided to back out until daylight.
Seems the one shot was the shotgun guy swallowing the barrel and pulling the trigger. Incident over.
I guess the gist of my long story is that capacity is king.
My friend laid down covering fire without exposing himself that the perp didn't want to advance into without exposing himself and is alive to this day.
You don't see our military getting downsized magazines. In my day standard issue was 20 rounds, today 30 rounds is standard.
Re: standard cap mags...I still use 20's in mine, but 30's in Miss LD's. Use 7rd in my 1911's.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Perhaps a nice Grenade launcher would get the job done. :eek:

1665600177294.png

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Perhaps a nice Grenade launcher would get the job done. :eek:

View attachment 28723
Sooooo where can we get one of these? The grenade launcher, not the lady, LOL.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Sooooo where can we get one of these? The grenade launcher, not the lady, LOL.

We could just drop them a friendly line about the price LOL.
Rclt1, U48 Baniyas, Al Wathba, P.O Box 4838
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with the capacity logic, especially given the ballistic advances in 9mm.
But, there's still times of too much for CCW.
I don't think that I'll ever try to conceal my Staccato C2.
I used to own a WARTHOG. It was a great gun, very reliable. But it was heavy and caused back issues when daily carried. Plus, 45 it just SO SLOW!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Now, if someone creates a more compact 10mm, I'm all in!
I know of one smith who once made a custom 10mm officers size gun. Check with Karl Sokol Chestnut mountain sports. He does incredible work. He's done quite a bit of work for me, and I've never been disappointed.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I would think that that is out of my reach financially. A totally custom gun is not something that I usually consider.
But, thank you for the the heads up.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I would think that that is out of my reach financially. A totally custom gun is not something that I usually consider.
But, thank you for the the heads up.
No problem, something like that is not in my reach either lol. He has however done some fantastic work for me on my Hi Powers. Also, he has done me very well with 1911 work too. For the record, he is very fair with his pricing too. As we speak, he has a Commander slide of mine, which I've asked him to install sights on. It's off my Series 70 commander, which has had some work done to it, but I didn't have the sights changed. Thought I could keep the old sights to help with the old look, but alas, my old ass eyes betrayed me again, hence the new sights.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Now, if someone creates a more compact 10mm, I'm all in!
Back in the 80's when 10 mm first got popular a company in Wyoming built a single stack pistol in SS. Buddy and I bought one and I loved it but 10mm ammo was incredibly expensive and I spent a lot of time going through the grass blade by blade to find that one round of brass to fill up that box of 20 empties.
Eventually came to hate that issue, and money was tight back then so I sold it at a gun show.
Now I'm back into the 10mm game with a hi cap M&P to carry when in bear country vs the incredibly heavy Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 mag.
I had to weigh the issue of the power of the 6 shot .44 mag vs the 15 rounds I could carry with Underwood ammo solids in 10MM so naturally went to the internet for research.
I found there have been documented cases of Alaskan brown bears killed by .22LR and .223. Lots killed with the .223.
Alaska Game wardens are issued 10MM now. After lots of research and first hand reports from people that experienced a bear charge and survived, the 10MM with the right ammo and lots of rounds is more than sufficient. We like to hike a lot in bear country in the lower 48, so instead of a big chest rig for the .44, I'm at a holster on the hip with a pound or two less weight to carry.

Last edited:

Latest posts