5.7x28

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I had a chance to handle the Ruger 57 today. 20 rounds of 5.7x28 :eek: all with less recoil than a 380.
I read that this tiny bullet will make hits to 100 yards & beyond a great probability if we do our job.
I had my Kahr CW45 with me & did a feel test & with 20 rounds of 5.7 the Kahr with 7 rds of 165gr 45acp
the felt almost the same. This pistol would act as a real shocker up close & a great 0 to 125 yard short range tool.

Anyone have any first hand with the 5.7 pistols? I've shot the FN P90 PDW & it's so cool in semi & Full, just never fired it in a pistol.

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
My neighbor bougtt a used FN Five-Seven , several years ago.
Purchase included a bunch of factory loaded ammo.
Don't know if he ever shot it, he showed me the gun & ammo, but didn't offer to let me shoot it.
I know the ammo is / was / has been/ both difficult to find, & expensive when you can find it.
I know Ruger made a lower cost (than the FN) pistol for the cartridge..but that doesn't make the ammo easier to find or less expensive.

Just watched a video on reloading the 57 round..iteresting steps that must be followed, to avoid removing the protective coating on the cases.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm glad it's affordably priced..
Right:)

I have not shot the 5.7 but I have and very much enjoy my 22tcm which is about as close as anything I've shot. It also has no recoil, good out to a 100+ yards, will scare the crap out of anyone with its loud concussion and will penetrate up to 3/16" steel 22lr targets out to 50 meters (only range i had the targets on) that my son thought would be fun to shoot!

He thought he was missing the targets but turns out he was just punching holes in them!! I had to weld all the holes up to save the spinners.

Oh and if I run out of 22tcm I can convert the double stack 1911 to 9mm and keep using it:)

Last edited:

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic

I have not shot the 5.7 but I have and very much enjoy my 22tcm which is about as close as anything I've shot. It also has no recoil, good out to a 100+ yards, will scare the crap out of anyone with its loud concussion and will penetrate up to 3/16" steel 22lr targets out to 50 meters (only range i had the targets on) that my son thought would be fun to shoot!

He thought he was missing the targets but turns out he was just punching holes in them!! I had to weld all the holes up to save the spinners.

Oh and if I run out of 22tcm I can convert the double stack 1911 to 9mm and keep using it:)
I have one as well. Each time I take it to the range I end up with an audience behind me because of the flame and noise. Always nice to have 17 rounds of 9mm if needed, and it takes just a few minutes to do the change over.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Ammo a plenty.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have no idea about any online vendor, buyer beware is in order.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have no idea about any online vendor, buyer beware is in order.

Thank you Mike.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
PSA has their own 5.7 (looks like the Ruger)
I believe they are going to mfg ammo as well.

I've never shot one however the guy who showed me his Ruger is Ex LE over 20 years.
I tend to follow the advice of someone who has been in the game like he has.
However I'm 70 & have learned a few tricks along the way 2.

The thing is this cartridge was designed for the PDW & just because you CAN chamber a revolver in .444 Marlin
does not mean you should. I can see this cartridge for Military, LE not so much but for a Civilian in a pistol, not yet. :eek:

With the FMJ loading this must pose a heck of a shoot through & a pin ball effect with misses or shoot throughs
in public places. At this point I know just about everything a 230gr ball or a 125gr Hp will do, I just don't feel the need for
this in a EDC pistol maybe a good woods pistol, just don't mess with the Black bears in the Mountains with a .22.

Enter the High Power shooter & I thought. ;) What about that, :oops: a Handgun that could if you did your job, hit a target at 200 yards.
Only problem you would have to hump both pistols LOL.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
4DEAC5F2-C1B8-4039-A202-CE406683B9AD.png6834C84C-DD56-4CAB-9E42-72D3C7C6AE8E.png
Criminals apparently love this firearm and the round and they could give two shiats about pass through or bystanders. These pics where screen shots from an ASP video about cartel street thugs that where apprehended with the FNs while shooting at police with them (Arizona I believe but don't quote me on that part, it's been quite a while since I saw the video)

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
View attachment 10913View attachment 10914
Criminals apparently love this firearm and the round and they could give two shiats about pass through or bystanders. These pics where screen shots from an ASP video about cartel street thugs that where apprehended with the FNs while shooting at police with them (Arizona I believe but don't quote me on that part, it's been quite a while since I saw the video)
Maybe we could do a performance review using the bad guys as a test medium?

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Is this a safe sight, and is it for real? Prices for 38special are very reasonable
I just checked it out. The only payment methods are ones where you don't have any recourse, such as Zelle. It's like sending cash to a friend. They do not take credit cards.

THIS SITE IS NOT SAFE. IT IS VERY LIKELY A SCAM.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I just checked it out. The only payment methods are ones where you don't have any recourse, such as Zelle. It's like sending cash to a friend. They do not take credit cards.

THIS SITE IS NOT SAFE. IT IS VERY LIKELY A SCAM.
Thank you, I thought I smelled a rat

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Thank you, I thought I smelled a rat
There are a handful of sites I've done business with for ammo that I can recommend. I listed them in order of best to good.

Bonefroggunclub.com
Targetsportsusa.com
Ammunitiondepot.com
Wideners.com
Powdervalleyinc.com
Midwayusa.com
Brownells.com

All are good and honest sources. Many people have never heard of Bone Frog Gun Club, but they are great to deal with and they have managed to keep stock through this sh--show most of the time. Powder Valley sells ammo, and they have been a good source of reloading supplies through the sh--show too. I've managed to get some primers from them as well as Midwayusa.com and Brownells.com too. The prices were not good, but much better than on Gunbroker.com.

Latest posts