3rd Party 1911 Parts

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Gentlemen, what has been your experience with the plethora of 1911 parts that are available? What company's parts require the least amount or no fitting?

A recent experience of mine:

I purchased an STI, now known as Staccato, trigger. The current trigger in the gun is a Wilson Combat 3 hole, long trigger. The STI trigger looks great in the gun, but it did not play well with the grip safety. To use this trigger safely, I will need to purchase another grip safety and fit it to the trigger.

What has been your experience with fitting parts....or not?

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
I have used with good results, EGW parts, all have needed fitting as they should. Also used Wilson Combat with much the same results. Some Ed Brown parts but less successfully, likely my problem not theirs. And I really like Novaks single sided thumb safety. I usually reshape the pad on any TS I install, I really like the overall shape on the Novaks

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I spent some time fitting a Caspian Classic 1911 frame to my 1918 slide & of course it was over size.
This winter I will fit all the 1918 frame parts back together. We will see how well the 1918 parts fit & work.
when I reassemble it. My hope is to replace the 1918 frame with a frame that looks like the org & have a
Caspian 1918 Government issue 1911.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I spent some time fitting a Caspian Classic 1911 frame to my 1918 slide & of course it was over size.
This winter I will fit all the 1918 frame parts back together. We will see how well the 1918 parts fit & work.
when I reassemble it. My hope is to replace the 1918 frame with a frame that looks like the org & have a
I would think the internal parts and others should fit very well. You should only have to deal with the slide to frame fit. Caspian is very good about using the standard specs and staying within tolerances.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd say that some parts do / (should) require fitting.. others shouldn't.
Barrel bushings, barrels, should require fitting... for best accuracy & reliability.
Other parts may work as drop ins..but precision firearms do require a higher level of custom fitting, which results in their greater accuracy.
Some parts are fit for cosmetic appeal. The grip safety is a good example. Any custom 1911 will be better "blended" to the frame than a production 1911.

Some gun owners desire precise fitting of all parts, (whether they have an effect on accuracy or reliability or not) and the pay a premium
for the aesthetic appearance of the workmanship.

SJ 40

Fanatic
I'd say that some parts do / (should) require fitting.. others shouldn't.
Barrel bushings, barrels, should require fitting... for best accuracy & reliability.
Other parts may work as drop ins..but precision firearms do require a higher level of custom fitting, which results in their greater accuracy.
Some parts are fit for cosmetic appeal. The grip safety is a good example. Any custom 1911 will be better "blended" to the frame than a production 1911.

Some gun owners desire precise fitting of all parts, (whether they have an effect on accuracy or reliability or not) and the pay a premium
for the aesthetic appearance of the workmanship.
What Joe said.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
CE has more experience with Wilson & other 3rd party vendors than I do, so maybe we can discuss other Manufactures & the problems with fitting
the parts into our 1911s. I'm in for the Education. :D
I can say that I've put Wilson ignition parts in 3 1911's without having to touch the sear or hammer with a file. They break like the proverbial glass rod at 3.5 lbs. One measured at 3.6. These parts all came from their Bulletproof line.

The Bulletproof parts are CNC machined from raw stock. The sear is made from A2 tool steel. As an Engineer and Machinist, I know the wear properties of A2. It will not wear or change for many, many years.

Bob could chime in on this. He is a Journeyman Machinist. His knowledge of A2 and other steels probably exceeds mine.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I have used with good results, EGW parts, all have needed fitting as they should. Also used Wilson Combat with much the same results. Some Ed Brown parts but less successfully, likely my problem not theirs. And I really like Novak's single sided thumb safety. I usually reshape the pad on any TS I install, I really like the overall shape on the Novaks
I'd love to try a Novak's thumb safety. The so remind me of the King's 201 thumb safety. I used them in the past and loved them. Now it's generally a stock Colt standard thumb safety on any 1911, although I do have a couple Springfield standard thumb safeties that feel a lot like a colt part. I bought quite a few Colt safeties when they were still available for a decent price. The standard safety works well for me I have small hands, and I'm not a big fan of extended anything. Just personal preference.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I really like that idea. I think Terry Tussy (RIP) did something like that years ago. Another great smith gone. You are missed Sir.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I met Terry Tussy when he had his shop in the L.A. area (Anaheim ?) drove up from San Diego so he could fix the front sight on my Gold Cup, a San
Diego shop had botched the job. Terry removed the crooked sight, installed a new one, correctly..all while I watched.
I had my Taurus 92 with me, & he installed a millet adjustable rear sight, again while I waited.
I was so impressed with his work that I later had him hard chrome a parkerized Springfield Armory 1911, do a trigger job, & install adjustable sights, etc..
It's been one of my favorite 1911's ever since. I was sorry to learn he left Calif. but certainly understood WHY.. I later learned of his accident, and more saddened to read of his passing. He was a great gunsmith & a nice guy as well.

Latest posts