3D Printed Shell Caddies - What do you guys think?

Rockon71385

Founding Member
I was tinkering with the idea of trying to 3D print some shell caddies and I found these on thingiverse: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1441205

I don't know enough about what kind of caddies work and don't work to know whether these are a total waste of time or not. What do you guys think? Do magnet based designs work?

Obviously these wont be top notch competition gear. I'm just looking for a cheap/free way to start practicing shotgun reloads. I promised myself I wouldn't spend anything on 3 gun related gear until i get out of school and get a decent job, but it would be nice to know how to load a shotgun BEFORE my first 3 gun match.

Depends on you're all in cost to make them. They are similar to one of the new designs but there is also plenty of used gear around to get started with as well. I'm sure that there are also several guys here with extras that you could borrow to see what type you like too

Rockon71385

Founding Member
I think total cost to make them would be about $6 since I have access to the printer and filament for free. Taccom has a design for the old-style sideways caddies, but I was under the impression that the load 2 style are faster and/or easier to use. I may throw one of these together just to see if it works.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
With the abuse the gear like caddies & mag pouches used for 3 gun take, I'm not sure 3d printing would hold up. Also , for a load 2 or 4 type caddy, the holders have to flex alot back & forth to hold & release the shells. I don't think the layered prints will do that very many times before cracking. It's worth a shot though & for $6, it's not like you'd be out much if it didn't work.

Glock_21

Well-Known Fanatic
Robbie said:
I think total cost to make them would be about $6 since I have access to the printer and filament for free. Taccom has a design for the old-style sideways caddies, but I was under the impression that the load 2 style are faster and/or easier to use. I may throw one of these together just to see if it works.
I know a guy not too far away from Stillwater that would loan you some caddies and dummy rounds to mess with.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I 3d printed a matchsaver for Burk and it...didn't pan out.

Not saying that it won't work, but make sure your printer is calibrated right and maybe use a higher infill setting.

JohnCea

Well-Known Fanatic
Well as i know 3 gun take, I'm not sure 3d printing would hold up. Also , for a load 2 or 4 type caddy, the holders have to flex alot back & forth to hold & release the shells..

Latest posts