1st range report on a Bear Creek Arsenal AR rifle in 7.62 X 39

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
as described below.. my purchase arrived & I've made a couple of range trips.. here's a report on the first one:
I found a sale on a BCA AR in the Found-A-Deal forum on a local firearms site. & since I'd never even seen a BCA product, (and I like the 7.62 X39 round) decided to give it a try, & ordered one. Here's a link to it : https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/762...wer-rifle.html

I was curious about BCA products, having no experience, I started a thread on my local forum, asking about them.
I was disappointed at some of the responses posted,.. too many respondents posted their thoughts & opinions about the company and their products,
though they did not have any actual or purchase experience ..which is what was requested.
I appreciated the + and - comments from those that had actually purchased BCA products. Was also nice to hear that the company seems to correct any issues that purchasers experience. Responses were similar to my experience with PSA products.. some had good experience, others not so good.. This has been my experience with PSA as well. Any brand firearm may have issues, the difference becomes how well the company addresses issues that do arise. I placed my order on Oct 12th..and after getting an email confirmation of my purchase..waited. Checks on the BCA site listed this about their processing orders :
"Please allow 1-14 business days for orders to process after submitting. Our company policy is 1-14 business days for processing, but we work very hard to get orders out as quickly as possible. Most (but unfortunately not all) of our orders are processed and leave our building within 3-4 business days. We want to make sure that we set the proper expectation so we can under promise and over deliver! "

I've been impressed with the speed that many online retailers process & ship orders..( including Combat Armory) can't say the same for BCA.
Received the notice that my order had processed on Oct. 21st.... so, not exactly fast, but within their stated time frame.
Arrived @ my FFL on the 24th, was examined & picked up the next day. No visible flaws or defects noted.

I've read comments where posters stated that a firearm "looks , or feels cheap " ..
This statement always makes me wonder what objective criteria is used to make such a subjective observation ?
Poorly finished metalwork ?, rough action ? flawed finish of materials ? sloppy assembly resulting in poor fitting of parts ?
I found none of this on my BCA rifle. No rough or poor finish, bolt & charging handle felt smooth, bolt release functions easily, mag drops when released.
Finish is flat black, but smooth / even in appearance. Sliding stock locks firmly in place. Upper fits snugly against the lower,
No gaps or movement between the upper and lower receivers. Trigger pull is heavier than I prefer, which is true of almost every firearm I've owned.
Most get lighter springs, a "trigger job", or replacement drop in trigger, for lighter, smoother function...so no surprise here.

A side charging handle is new to me, I like the way it functions.. it should make charging the rifle with a scope mounted, easier.

Cleaned the bore, removed the bolt, cleaned & lubed with FP-10. I had no scope mount or scope ready to mount,
but did have a set of taken-off iron sights, found in a drawer that easily mounted. Found a stud to mount on the barrel shroud,
so a bipod could be attached. Rifle didn't come with a mag, so got a new one from my stash.
Ready to hit the range for an initial shoot.

Headed to the range yesterday. Started shooting @ 25 yds. , as that's as far as I can see to use iron sights effectively on the target I use.
I shot 1 box of Fiocchi factory loads & 2 boxes of my hand loads. I had used different bullets in my loads, 1 box using 123 gr FMJ pills,
& 1 box using plastic-tipped 125gr Jacketed bullets. Shot about 1/2 box of my 123 gr FMJ w/o incident.
1st 3 shots were touching each other.. nice. Switched to the plastic-tipped rnds ,& an issue arose.
Chambered rnd, trigger pulled, = "click".. not bang.
Unfired rnd. was difficult to eject. This repeated with several more rnds. No firing pin impression on the primers.

A downside to the side-charging handle is that you need to remove the "handle" to remove the bolt..& need a allen wrench to remove the handle.
Learning this when I cleaned the rifle last night, I had brought one along with me. Removed handle & BCG.
Examined firing pin, bolt face, checked firing pin protrusion..looked for foreign material in bolt /action...all appeared normal.
Reassembled rifle, a few of the plastic tipped rnds fired..noticed the bolt wasn't completely closing on some of them.
Examined rnds.. I noticed some marks on the chambered, but unfired bullets..maybe this particular bullet has a different ogive / diameter ?
One that doesn't fit well with this rifle's chamber dimensions ?
I'd brought these rnds. along, as my past experience was, this bullet / load combination provided the best accuracy from my PSA 7.62 X 39 AR upper.
I switched to the Fiocchi factory loads, they chambered, fired, & ejected without difficulty. As did my 123 gr. FMJ reloads.

Had several groups with shots touching.
Kept trying & eventually all rds fired from this rifle. I did have a few failure to feed issues, which I believe to be magazine related.
Unfortunately, I didn't take extra mags (I have several brands) This mag was factory fresh-never used before.
I should have taken my P mag, or other mags I've used in the past that have never had an issue.

I need to check dimensions of the plastic tipped bullet rnds, to see how they compare to the factory rds. & my FMJ loads.
Will mount a scope, so I can more accurately evaluate this rifle's accuracy.
Though the trigger seemed heavy initially, I had shot several groups that touched.. with all ammo I shot.
'course this was at only 25 yds.. but it's promising.
I'd say.. so far, rifle is good..I'm satisfied with it's performance,.. but need to do some fine tuning.
This is always the case, in my experience.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
as described below.. my purchase arrived & I've made a couple of range trips.. here's a report on the first one:
I found a sale on a BCA AR in the Found-A-Deal forum on a local firearms site. & since I'd never even seen a BCA product, (and I like the 7.62 X39 round) decided to give it a try, & ordered one. Here's a link to it : https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/762...wer-rifle.html

I was curious about BCA products, having no experience, I started a thread on my local forum, asking about them.
I was disappointed at some of the responses posted,.. too many respondents posted their thoughts & opinions about the company and their products,
though they did not have any actual or purchase experience ..which is what was requested.
I appreciated the + and - comments from those that had actually purchased BCA products. Was also nice to hear that the company seems to correct any issues that purchasers experience. Responses were similar to my experience with PSA products.. some had good experience, others not so good.. This has been my experience with PSA as well. Any brand firearm may have issues, the difference becomes how well the company addresses issues that do arise. I placed my order on Oct 12th..and after getting an email confirmation of my purchase..waited. Checks on the BCA site listed this about their processing orders :
"Please allow 1-14 business days for orders to process after submitting. Our company policy is 1-14 business days for processing, but we work very hard to get orders out as quickly as possible. Most (but unfortunately not all) of our orders are processed and leave our building within 3-4 business days. We want to make sure that we set the proper expectation so we can under promise and over deliver! "

I've been impressed with the speed that many online retailers process & ship orders..( including Combat Armory) can't say the same for BCA.
Received the notice that my order had processed on Oct. 21st.... so, not exactly fast, but within their stated time frame.
Arrived @ my FFL on the 24th, was examined & picked up the next day. No visible flaws or defects noted.

I've read comments where posters stated that a firearm "looks , or feels cheap " ..
This statement always makes me wonder what objective criteria is used to make such a subjective observation ?
Poorly finished metalwork ?, rough action ? flawed finish of materials ? sloppy assembly resulting in poor fitting of parts ?
I found none of this on my BCA rifle. No rough or poor finish, bolt & charging handle felt smooth, bolt release functions easily, mag drops when released.
Finish is flat black, but smooth / even in appearance. Sliding stock locks firmly in place. Upper fits snugly against the lower,
No gaps or movement between the upper and lower receivers. Trigger pull is heavier than I prefer, which is true of almost every firearm I've owned.
Most get lighter springs, a "trigger job", or replacement drop in trigger, for lighter, smoother function...so no surprise here.

A side charging handle is new to me, I like the way it functions.. it should make charging the rifle with a scope mounted, easier.

Cleaned the bore, removed the bolt, cleaned & lubed with FP-10. I had no scope mount or scope ready to mount,
but did have a set of taken-off iron sights, found in a drawer that easily mounted. Found a stud to mount on the barrel shroud,
so a bipod could be attached. Rifle didn't come with a mag, so got a new one from my stash.
Ready to hit the range for an initial shoot.

Headed to the range yesterday. Started shooting @ 25 yds. , as that's as far as I can see to use iron sights effectively on the target I use.
I shot 1 box of Fiocchi factory loads & 2 boxes of my hand loads. I had used different bullets in my loads, 1 box using 123 gr FMJ pills,
& 1 box using plastic-tipped 125gr Jacketed bullets. Shot about 1/2 box of my 123 gr FMJ w/o incident.
1st 3 shots were touching each other.. nice. Switched to the plastic-tipped rnds ,& an issue arose.
Chambered rnd, trigger pulled, = "click".. not bang.
Unfired rnd. was difficult to eject. This repeated with several more rnds. No firing pin impression on the primers.

A downside to the side-charging handle is that you need to remove the "handle" to remove the bolt..& need a allen wrench to remove the handle.
Learning this when I cleaned the rifle last night, I had brought one along with me. Removed handle & BCG.
Examined firing pin, bolt face, checked firing pin protrusion..looked for foreign material in bolt /action...all appeared normal.
Reassembled rifle, a few of the plastic tipped rnds fired..noticed the bolt wasn't completely closing on some of them.
Examined rnds.. I noticed some marks on the chambered, but unfired bullets..maybe this particular bullet has a different ogive / diameter ?
One that doesn't fit well with this rifle's chamber dimensions ?
I'd brought these rnds. along, as my past experience was, this bullet / load combination provided the best accuracy from my PSA 7.62 X 39 AR upper.
I switched to the Fiocchi factory loads, they chambered, fired, & ejected without difficulty. As did my 123 gr. FMJ reloads.

Had several groups with shots touching.
Kept trying & eventually all rds fired from this rifle. I did have a few failure to feed issues, which I believe to be magazine related.
Unfortunately, I didn't take extra mags (I have several brands) This mag was factory fresh-never used before.
I should have taken my P mag, or other mags I've used in the past that have never had an issue.

I need to check dimensions of the plastic tipped bullet rnds, to see how they compare to the factory rds. & my FMJ loads.
Will mount a scope, so I can more accurately evaluate this rifle's accuracy.
Though the trigger seemed heavy initially, I had shot several groups that touched.. with all ammo I shot.
'course this was at only 25 yds.. but it's promising.
I'd say.. so far, rifle is good..I'm satisfied with it's performance,.. but need to do some fine tuning.
This is always the case, in my experience.
If I am reading this correctly, all factory ammo worked without incident. Conclusion, rifle worked!

1668136749637.gif

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
IMHO,
I think that the AR7.62x39 is the best way to go over the AK, the 300AAC, not a big fan of either one.

I'm not a big fan of those side-chargers. Have a good friend that loves them. 1668181397929.gif Great guy, but sometimes, I don't know. Something must have happen back in his childhood days. 1668181572199.gif

Very easy to get around the scope and rear charger handle thing. BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle (5.56mm/.223) w/ Mod 3B (LARGE) Latch. There maybe other brands that could work also, but the BCM GUNFIGHTER charging handle does fix that problem.

1668182487497.gif

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I've had no interest in Ak's.... they're not very accurate, due to "generous tolerances" IMO.
as well as way too expensive (now) for Commie block firearms.. though I avoided getting one when they were a lot less expensive,
due to reports of mediocre accuracy.
In the AR format, they are easy to modify, inexpensive, and quite accurate, in my experience .

Ive read & talked to those who have / like the 300 B.O. , because it can be suppressed, with it's subsonic loads.
I like the 7.62 X39 cal. because it's accurate, shoots a 30 cal bullet (.310"), but in a small caliber sized rifle.

I thought the side charging handle was a good idea, because I mount scopes on y AR's & even with an extended CH latch, can still be a pain to reach around the scope to chamber a round.
The down side(s) to a side charging handle are.. 1) need an allen wrench to remove handle, before removing bolt..
& 2) my brass catchers don't work.. the side handle hits the catcheer frame..need to experiment , so I can find a way to use it..as I only usebrass cased ammo, & need to save the brass to reload..& I'm too old to be picking up cases off the ground, as well as searching for them..

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I've had no interest in Ak's.... they're not very accurate, due to "generous tolerances" IMO.
as well as way too expensive (now) for Commie block firearms.. though I avoided getting one when they were a lot less expensive,
due to reports of mediocre accuracy.
In the AR format, they are easy to modify, inexpensive, and quite accurate, in my experience .

Ive read & talked to those who have / like the 300 B.O. , because it can be supressed, with it's subsonic loads.
I like the 7.62 X39 cal. because it's accurate, shoots a 30 cal bullet (.310"), but in a small caliber sized rifle.

I thought the side charging handle was a good idea, because I mount scopes on y AR's & even with an extended CH latch, can still be a pain to reach around the scope to chamber a round.
The down side(s) to a side charging handle are.. 1) need an allen wrench to remove handle, befre removing bolt..
& 2) my brass catchers don't work.. the side handle hits the catcheer frame..need to experiment , so I can find a way to useit..as I only usebrass cased ammo, & need to save the brass to reload..& I'm too old to be picking up cases off the ground, as well as searching for them..
Versatility is what the .300 Blackout brings to the table. It's a great round in my opinion.....and it works with AR15 stock hardware, other than the barrel of course.

Nice review Joe. BCA is here in NC, not very far from me. I know several people who own their rifles and none of them have been less than pleased.

That was an outstanding price!

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for posting the link. Apparently BCA heard from other purchasers, (or potential customers ) that the
white lettering on their rifle was not liked, and stopped highlighting their logo on the receiver in white.
At least I'm happy that my rifle has no white lettering on it.

After my 1st range trip, I installed a CMC 3.5# drop in trigger (Joe Bob Outfitting had a good ( & timely )sale,
I ordered a set of scope rings and installed a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16 X 42 rifle scope.
My 2nd range trip had me shooting groups @ 50 yds. very similar to the pic posted from my shooting @25 yds. in above post..
but these groups were in the bullseye..:)

dennishoddy

I'm too old to be picking up cases off the ground, as well as searching for them..
There is a fix for that. I use one of those "grabbers" to pick up the brass and deposit it into a trout net taped to a broom stick handle. When the net gets full, dump it into a bucket.
Never bend over to pick up brass again.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
There is a fix for that. I use one of those "grabbers" to pick up the brass and deposit it into a trout net taped to a broom stick handle. When the net gets full, dump it into a bucket.
Never bend over to pick up brass again.
Here you go,
1668304846011.png
Mount it on a Manfrotto tripod, like

You set it up on your firing line and stand or sit so the gun is about a foot or so away and it is all done. As long a you are not doing moving drills it works fine and will catch 100%
If your bench shooting , use something like,
If you have more questions PM me.

Last edited:

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Here you go,
View attachment 29075
Mount it on a Manfrotto tripod, like

You set it up on your firing line and stand or sit so the gun is about a foot or so away and it is all done. As long a you are not doing moving drills it works fine and will catch 100%
If your bench shooting , use something like,
If you have more questions PM me.
Thank you! I still do the bend and groan technic, first I bend, then I groan. I do a lot of that, no matter where I am, or what I'm doing. This getting older crap is NOT for the faint of heart! ;-)

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been using a Caldwell brass catcher since about 2018..it works very well, once it's adjusted properly
Has a bracket that clamps to the pic. rail, the bag just slides on & off, with a little resistance holding it on .
I bought / tried several other brands, most use a latch/ lever/button or other manner of holding the bag to a bracket.
With all of these others, the scope or scope mount, interferes with the latch / lever / button..making it difficult or impossible to remove the bag.
I have 2 Caldwell catchers, and depending on the scope mount on the rifle, I've had to file / grind away metal from the bracket on the bag,
or remove metal from the scope mount, to get them to fit . Not sure if the window on the bag is wide enough for the charging handle to move w/o hitting the bag frame. I'll have a lot of time to figure it out, as temps here dropped from the 60's to the 20's , and look to remain that way for the immediate future.:(

Last edited:

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been using a Caldwell brass catcher since about 2018..it works very well, once it's adjusted properly
Has a bracket that clamps to the pic. rail, the bag just slides on & off, with a little resistance holding it on .
I bought / tried several other brands, most use a latch/ lever/button or other manner of holding the bag to a bracket.
With all of these others, the scope or scope mount, interferes with the latch / lever / button..making it difficult or impossible to remove the bag.
I have 2 Caldwell catchers, and depending on the scope mount on the rifle, I've had to file / grind away metal from the bracket on the bag,
or remove metal from the scope mount, to get them to fit . Not sure if the window on the bag is wide enough for the charging handle to move w/o hitting the bag frame. I'll have a lot of time to figure it out, as temps here dropped from the 60's to the 20's , and look to remain that way for the immediate future.:(
This setup works very similar to the setting up of a Labradar unit if you understand that. You set up the net so you shot the ejected shell right into it. Nothing is attached to the gun to restrict the function of the weapon. It works very well.

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
The problem with using a system as mentioned by rmc51 is one of space.
My club range has an overhead, & wooden walls , about 4' apart, so there isn't room to set up a catcher beside the rifle.
Brass bounces off the side wall, and flies everywhere.. so the catcheer that attaches to the rifle works well. I've even used a ball cap, with the head band
attached around the scope base, to deflect the brass to the floor. Looks weird, but works....some what.
I have a long cold spell to figure a way to improve my brass retrieval method..should be ready by Spring.;)

fflincher

Active Fanatic
BC-15 | 7.62x39 Right Side Charging Upper | 16" Parkerized Heavy Barrel | 1:10 Twist | Carbine Length Gas System | 15" MLOK

SKU: 911N-UASCH762CHB16110P-15M3

$209.99, ordered a .300 Blackout upper too, got free shipping!

Thank you for that interesting review.

dennishoddy

The problem with using a system as mentioned by rmc51 is one of space.
My club range has an overhead, & wooden walls , about 4' apart, so there isn't room to set up a catcher beside the rifle.
Brass bounces off the side wall, and flies everywhere.. so the catcheer that attaches to the rifle works well. I've even used a ball cap, with the head band
attached around the scope base, to deflect the brass to the floor. Looks weird, but works....some what.
I have a long cold spell to figure a way to improve my brass retrieval method..should be ready by Spring.;)
I saw a guy at our range that was using a butterfly net with the handle cut off. He had the stub of the handle that was left in a steel plate to his right on the bench to catch the rounds coming out of his AR-10 in .308.
It caught every round.

barnetmill

Well-Known Fanatic
Over that last several years I have had experience with several BCA uppers including two in 7.62x39. There is a high probability that it will have a minimum chamber that will not except some eastern european made ammo. Also they may need an 'enhanced' firing pin and and extra power hammer spring. One of mine was so overgassed the followers on some magazines with weaper mag springs would double feed. Switch the buffer for an H3 and it slowed down working with any AR 7.62x39 magazine. I had to do a bolt substitution to correct minimal head space with one gun.
A friend sent back his upper 5.56 because it would not not chamber military 5.56 of any caliber but might work with .223.
It may take some trouble to get an upper from them to work, but afterwards it should work well.

I purchased an upper in 7.62x39 because I have a lot of that ammo around.
It is a good deal except for what seems to be in my experience a 50-50 chance of insufficient head space. I fixed my head spaces issues with a new bolt.

Latest posts