Who carries a 5" 1911 and what holster do you use?

billyjoeraybob

Fanatic
I will most likely be carrying my Government model 1911 when my CWP comes in. I have a Glock 30S on order, but who knows when that will show up. In the meantime, my only choice is my 1911. I am looking for advice on the best way to carry a gun of this size.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
When I carry one of my 5" 1911's I use a Galco "Miami Vice" shoulder harness. It is the most comfortable for me...but, I also have an old leather OWB that I use sometimes...it is a rough leather with abelt clip...

Steve

billyjoeraybob

Fanatic
Thanks Steve. I hadn't really considered a shoulder rig. I currently have an Old Faithful IWB that feels pretty good. I am just not sure about carrying in it for a full day. I love my 1911's but dang they sure are heavy!

ramsey88

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe a member here makes kydex/leather hybrid IWB holsters, similar to the Crossbreed SuperTuck and Galco King Tuck. I have the Supertuck for my full size 1911 and it helps support the big 45 pretty well, IMO. Might be worth looking into.

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
When I carried my 1911 I carried it IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. They are a bit pricey. After I got my Glock I carried that in an Old Faithfull IWB Kydex/Leather holster. It's a lot like the cross breed but you can get it as various levels of a kit. I got the one where basically I had to put in a few screws and it was still half the price of the cross breed. Since I have been in SC I haven't been able to carry but I took my CWP class yesterday so that will change soon. :) Here's some pics of the two if it matters.

Versa Max 2:
Milt_Sparks_Versa_Max_II.jpg

Glock 19 in Old Faithful IWB
Old_Faithful_Holsters.jpg

This is a little opinion article I put together on some of the IWB holsters I had access too a few years back if you're interested: http://all-about-guns.com/index.php/art ... er-options

billyjoeraybob

Fanatic
Thanks jfeenin! Nice article. I currently have an Old Faithful IWB that feels pretty good. I have been carrying around the house in it, just to get used to it. I also have a Galco Tac Slide Belt Holster that I really like, but with all that stainless sticking out it would make concealing difficult without a jacket or extra shirt. With the Old Faithful riding at 4 o'clock I can conceal with just about any shirt tucked or not.

jfeenin

Well-Known Fanatic
I have to admit it's the bang for the buck winner in that dept. I like mine and just ordered another for my Shield. I do love the Milt Sparks but It is a pricey option.

Tom

Active Fanatic
When I carry my 1911A1, which is not often, but when I do, I have a "ClipDraw" mounted on it, being a small person, a leather holster, which I have serval of, just add to the bulk.

billyjoeraybob

Fanatic
Thanks Guys. I think I am going to use my Old Faithful IWB. Tom I am curious as to how the clipdraw handles the weight of a 1911.

Sean MacTavish

Fanatic
When I carried my 1911 I carried it IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. They are a bit pricey. After I got my Glock I carried that in an Old Faithfull IWB Kydex/Leather holster. It's a lot like the cross breed but you can get it as various levels of a kit. I got the one where basically I had to put in a few screws and it was still half the price of the cross breed. Since I have been in SC I haven't been able to carry but I took my CWP class yesterday so that will change soon. :) Here's some pics of the two if it matters.

Versa Max 2:
Milt_Sparks_Versa_Max_II.jpg

Glock 19 in Old Faithful IWB
Old_Faithful_Holsters.jpg

This is a little opinion article I put together on some of the IWB holsters I had access too a few years back if you're interested: http://all-about-guns.com/index.php/art ... er-options

Latest posts