Steel set up

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to be running a local Steel Challenge match in 2015. I'm trying to come up with quick and efficient methods for set up of the standard stages. The nerd in me wants to get a line with distance marks running straight into bay, figure target placement using triangle geometry, and use 2 tapes to set steel in previous figured locations. Of course I'll have the figures written on stage drawings beforehand. How does everyone else do it? My method comes from laying out countless soccer, football, and baseball fields, using 345 triangles to keep square.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
If you look at SC rules, it allows some leeway on distance and target height, so you don't have to be absolutely precise. My range has square concrete pads in each bay and the target stems are welded to car rims to allow quick setup and tear down. You could do something as simple as use spray paint to mark measured spots on the ground too.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, you could do what Jesse said and make it easy, if you want to act all "professional" and ****, but if you do it that way and the Earth's poles reverse, your pins will gravitate away. Pins are temporary. Spray paint is forever.

dennishoddy

Bob, the OKC gun club uses surveyors whiskers to mark stand locations they are nylon, won't trip anybody and are cheap.
I stole the idea and got Burk to tell me where he got them.
Think I paid $20 per hundred and $2.50 for a box of nails at Attwoods.

I use a short piece of rebar to drive the nail heads below ground surface, leaving 3" of the fibers above ground.

Rainwater.com is where I bought them.

b3d5a0f19e292f366e4d4ff6f9b5a5cb.jpg

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I really like Dennis' idea. We bought the Scholastic Steel Challenge set, plus a few extra plates. I intend to run the official stages at first, then start making a few up. If it's popular we can add a fifth stage later.
What's a good match fee? One local club charges $5 for adult men and free for women and juniors. In comparison our USPSA matches are $10 for members and $15 for nonmembers. All for 6 awesome stages.

dennishoddy

Burk Cornelius said:
Those nails look small Dennis. I thought those whiskers used 60d nails
They will take a 60D, but I can't find any in my area. 16D is the biggest in Ponca, but when I went to Stillwater Attwods, they had the 20D. Done deal. Thanks for the heads up buddy! They work great. :D

Bob Sanders said:
I really like Dennis' idea. We bought the Scholastic Steel Challenge set, plus a few extra plates. I intend to run the official stages at first, then start making a few up. If it's popular we can add a fifth stage later.
What's a good match fee? One local club charges $5 for adult men and free for women and juniors. In comparison our USPSA matches are $10 for members and $15 for nonmembers. All for 6 awesome stages.
Ponca Charges $15 and $10 like you.

Not my idea. Burk is the guilty party. :D

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Our range charges $10/gun. I usually shoot rimfire rifle and a handgun, so it's $20 for me. We will usually shoot 6 stages.

Jedabug

Well-Known Fanatic
Where would this be held? I shot Steel yesterday for the first time and I LOVES IT

Sent from the Armory

dennishoddy

One is in Nebraska and the other is in Kentucky.

I'm thinking your on tapatalk. Doesn't show where the posters are from like being on the main site. :D

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Jedabug said:
Where would this be held? I shot Steel yesterday for the first time and I LOVES IT
Sent from the Armory
Where are you located? They have steel challenge almost everywhere.

Jedabug

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
One is in Nebraska and the other is in Kentucky.

I'm thinking your on tapatalk. Doesn't show where the posters are from like being on the main site. :D
I am.... sad face
Jesse Tischauser said:
Where are you located? They have steel challenge almost everywhere.
I'm in okc

Sent from the Armory

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I just want to shoot more steel
ponca city, ATA in pryor, Oil Capitol, USSA in Tulsa........all have steel challenge matches on different weekends

jcameron996

Well-Known Fanatic
Jedabug said:
Oh yea I knew that, I thought someone in Oklahoma was hosting another, I must have misread I apologize.

I just want to shoot more steel

Sent from the Armory
Relax dude. You live in Oklahoma. There is always a match of some kind going on somewhere in Oklahoma.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
He can come to Kentucky if he wants. Kind of reminds me of an old Walter Eagan song....you are the magnet, and I am steeeeeeeeel