Steel Challenge Buckmark - Need info on barrel and comp

StrongArm67

Fanatic
Hello,
Long time reader, first time poster, so hello from the KC area!

I recently shot my first steel challenge match and used my USPSA Productioh rig. Afterwards, I was watching some YouTube videos and found the rimfire guys and that really looked fun.

So, ordered myself a Buckmark, a C-more red dot, and (5) additional magazine, basically I'm set but...
I have been seeing the TACSOL barrels and comps and my questions are:

Since I'm going to be using a red dot, I don't really need to worry about sight radius, should I stick with the 5.5" barrel or go with the 4" version?

I really like the looks of the TACSOL comps and was wondering, if I go with the 4" barrel length, would the comp actually help with muzzle flip on the shorter barrel?

Last question, should I just leave the gun "as is" and if so, will it be a contender in its stock form (with the exception of the added dot)?

Thank you all for your constructive input and have a great weekend, especially to all the other dads out there!

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
It's more about the shooter than it is the gear. If you have the money and want to spice it up, then go for it, but practice will help you more.

gng4life

Active Fanatic
I would shoot what you got first. The upgrades to the barrel, comps, etc. are nice but will most likely give moderate gains. Shoot your setup first and what are the things that may get you to another level. It gives you time to watch others and try out other equipment along with asking questions. I do have a 4" and 5.5" Tacsol barrels and the 5.5 gives the best balance for me. The comp makes minimal differences but it does help when it gets down to fractions of a second. The trigger makes a big difference though.

StrongArm67

Fanatic
Thank you both for your input.

The other reasons why I was considering the barrel and comp:
1st, I held a MKIII recently, loved they weight in my hand but like Glocks, the grip angle bothered me. I only brought up the idea of the barrel swap because with the Buckmark and the 5.5" steel barrel, it felt front heavy.

2nd, if people feel that the 4" barrel is about right, the comp would help with "flip".

Also, with the 5.5" barrel and the TACSOL comp, overall, it looks pretty "lengthy".

You are both right though as well, in that, maybe I moint the red dot and play, see how it feels and runs.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
I'd get the 4" barrel. The reduced weight will help with your transitions & you don't need the added accuracy of the longer barrel for steel challenge.

chris g

Well-Known Fanatic
Comps don't work well with 22 but barrel holes work amazingly well in my buck mark 4 inch barrel the red dot never even moves in the scope I have done everything with buck mark barrels and this works the best

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
revochris said:
Comps don't work well with 22 but barrel holes work amazingly well in my buck mark 4 inch barrel the red dot never even moves in the scope I have done everything with buck mark barrels and this works the best
Got pics?

StrongArm67

Fanatic
Thanks a lot Mike...now I'm leaning towards just having my 5.5" steel barrel cut down to about 4.0-4.5", new target crown cut, a flat milled on the top side of the muzzle, and a few ports added...

How many ports did you have?
One large one or several?
Diameter of port(s)?
How long was the barrel cut to?

I kind of like this approach as opposed to just buying stuff and screwing it on.
Also, I would imagine that I could get that work for considerably less than $250 which is about the total cost of a TACSOL barrel and comp

StrongArm67 said:
Thanks a lot Mike...now I'm leaning towards just having my 5.5" steel barrel cut down to about 4.0-4.5", new target crown cut, a flat milled on the top side of the muzzle, and a few ports added...

How many ports did you have?
One large one or several?
Diameter of port(s)?
How long was the barrel cut to?

I kind of like this approach as opposed to just buying stuff and screwing it on.
Also, I would imagine that I could get that work for considerably less than $250 which is about the total cost of a TACSOL barrel and comp
just one big square upward chamber, and 5/8"x5/8" square
Id lean towards doing what Chris suggests, hes probably done more trial and error than I have

Ed Ellison

Well-Known Fanatic
If you're like me you'll end up with a drawer full of comps and other parts looking for the magic combination. Others can guide you to what worked well for them but in the end you need to decide what you like. I've got CMore mounts, barrels, red dots, small parts in my tool box not being used all trying to find the perfect set up.

Latest posts