SC state law on "slap jacks"

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
I reseached but could not find. Could someone please educate me on the SC state law for "slap jacks...monkey fist...ect". A link would be helpful as well. Thanks in advance.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
The state laws I read that mention them are vague; they are lumped in with any other weapons like knives and guns saying use during the commission of a crime is illegal.

There is a blackjack floating around in my family somewhere...a "great-great" relative carried it in addition to a .32 caliber revolver as a policeman many years ago. To cops, a blackjack or baton is a nonlethal implement used to strike legs or elsewhere to disable a suspect. But if a private citizen carried one you could be arrested for a deadly weapon. Funny how that works

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
11B3XCIB said:
The state laws I read that mention them are vague; they are lumped in with any other weapons like knives and guns saying use during the commission of a crime is illegal.

There is a blackjack floating around in my family somewhere...a "great-great" relative carried it in addition to a .32 caliber revolver as a policeman many years ago. To cops, a blackjack or baton is a nonlethal implement used to strike legs or elsewhere to disable a suspect. But if a private citizen carried one you could be arrested for a deadly weapon. Funny how that works

A PR-24 baton is incorporated into both "soft hands" and "hard hands" intermediate weapon use of force.

A slap is used exclusively on the head and neck and is lethal force. I've known officers that carried them (back pocket) and never thought it was a good idea but they were "old school" and had been doing it for decades.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
What kind of scenario is imagined where a slap would be a preferred weapon to a firearm, knife or OC pepperspray, anyways? Particularly from an "everyman" just going about his daily life.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
None what so ever....

The question arises due to this situation.

I work with a specific population of people with certian disabilities. One of my co-workers with an indvidual unwittingly created a bunch of monkey fist from 550 cord and 1"-2" steel ball berings with 12 " braided lead (intended as decorations). Often times we sell our crafts in a store front. Seeing these and knowing what they could potentially be used for I posed the question of are these legal. I understand in any situation any object could be "used as a weapon". But given the history of these objects would they be given extra scrutinity? In the event these are utilized in an unintended way would we be responsible for any reprocussion?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
If they are sold as decorations, the end result of how the buyer uses it is not the makers' fault. I've seen "brass knuckle paperweights" being sold legally.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
Dayman said:
None what so ever....

The question arises due to this situation.

I work with a specific population of people with certian disabilities. One of my co-workers with an indvidual unwittingly created a bunch of monkey fist from 550 cord and 1"-2" steel ball berings with 12 " braided lead (intended as decorations). Often times we sell our crafts in a store front. Seeing these and knowing what they could potentially be used for I posed the question of are these legal. I understand in any situation any object could be "used as a weapon". But given the history of these objects would they be given extra scrutinity? In the event these are utilized in an unintended way would we be responsible for any reprocussion?

"Monkey Fists" are tethers I've seen attached to keys and knives so that the "fist" part protrudes outside of your pocket so you can retrieve the item without putting your hand into your pocket. I've never seen them used as weapons.

To address what your concern is, though, if you sell anything, but market it for a non-assaultive use, and someone misuses it as a weapon, then that isn't your fault. Several states have created a "felony misuse of pepperspray" criminal offense for when OC Pepperspray is used outside of the normal, defensive, prescribed manner, i.e. robbery, assault, et al.

Like 11B said, too. Walk into any Lowe's or Home Depot. They have entire sections of the store that are a bloodsport gladiator's dream.... hammers, knives, crowbars, wrecker bars, etc. But those objects are marketed and sold with non-violent purposes so, you know. Like. Stuff. And whatnot.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
[
Like 11B said, too. Walk into any Lowe's or Home Depot. They have entire sections of the store that are a bloodsport gladiator's dream.... hammers, knives, crowbars, wrecker bars, etc. But those objects are marketed and sold with non-violent purposes so, you know. Like. Stuff. And whatnot.

GIFSoup

I will now yell this every time I walk in to Lowes or Home Depot! :lol:

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
Avtomat-Acolyte said:
Tigerstripe said:
but a pretty glass tube is a crack pipe?

(never seen crack except on "COPS")

Those glass tubes are sold in (ghetto) convenience stores with miniature, faux roses in them.

Huh. Never knew that.

And, just for the additional information, an actual monkey fist is a specific knot of rope (you can actually make one without a round center) used to weight the end of a line on a ship for tossing to another ship or a dock.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
rotarymike said:
Huh. Never knew that.

And, just for the additional information, an actual monkey fist is a specific knot of rope (you can actually make one without a round center) used to weight the end of a line on a ship for tossing to another ship or a dock.

Used to be used to toss line from ships but due to the amount of head injuries they have been outlawed from use (edit: could not confirm this). I think port of charleston had a big case on this some time ago when a dock hand got waylayed (edit: tugboat dock hand got a million plus settlement due to a TBI due to a monkey fist loaded with a lead core)

Dang, I've made about a dozen of them outta 550 paracord and 1" steel balls and sold a few and have also gave a few away. I told everybody they were monkeys fists self defense keychains. They are sold this way all over the internet. I really hope they aren't illegal, I even have one hanging from my rear view mirror in case a crafty carjacker manages to get into my vehicle before I can get to my XD .40. I can smack him with the Monkeys fist in about 4 nanoseconds, then shoot him. :eek:

WoodLark

Fanatic
DeSantis is selling the "City Slicker Coin Purse", a leather bag you fill with coins and carry inside your belt (January 2015 Guns magazine, page 65. I can't see how it could be anymore illegal than a woman's purse (that is until you whack someone in the head with it). :D

ockham

Fanatic
FYI I took a 6lb. Shot put and tied a monkey's fist around it. It is used a a decoration piece on the stair landing at the beach house. I hope a better option would be available but I would not hesitate to use it if necessary.