Question on back ground checks

Jasonf1978

New Fanatic
So Im going to the gun show in Greenville in a couple weeks. I have never bought from a show before. So here is my question. I am legal to own fire arms have a few of them but when I get my back ground ran I get delayed for up to three days ( Im pretty sure its because I have lived in multiple states) So how does this work out if I get delayed for three days at a two day event.

armaborealis

Well-Known Fanatic
It is between you and the merchant (FFL) to figure out. One possible option could be to go to their place of business to pick it up; another would be to pay for them to ship it to a local FFL near you (in which case you do another 4473 and pay that FFL for a background check).

Avtomat Acolyte has a good answer as well.

TheSwampFox

Well-Known Fanatic
Its been a long time since I was to get a "deal" from a vendor at a gun show anyway. There are so many online merchants with great prices, just find a local FFL to do your transfer and order online. The last gun show I was at the merchants wouldn't budge a penny off their already high price. I am all about helping out the local guy but until they at least try to compete with the online companies I will keep shopping online. When I can save $100+ even after shipping and transfer fees it doesn't make much sense to do anything else.

RK3369

Well-Known Fanatic
TheSwampFox said:
Its been a long time since I was to get a "deal" from a vendor at a gun show anyway. There are so many online merchants with great prices, just find a local FFL to do your transfer and order online. The last gun show I was at the merchants wouldn't budge a penny off their already high price. I am all about helping out the local guy but until they at least try to compete with the online companies I will keep shopping online. When I can save $100+ even after shipping and transfer fees it doesn't make much sense to do anything else.

+1. I buy most of my items online and use a local FFL to transfer them. He's not actively buying or selling but does training and transfers, so he's glad for the transfer fees. I also have never found a competitive price at a show. It seems that most of the vendors keep their prices high because they have so much overhead to meet, vendor fees, etc. The only ones I think are making money at the shows are the show promoters.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
just like everything else, something happened around 2000 to cause a change.

gun shows used to be a great place to get deals on everything.

ive bought guns for less than dealer price, ammo and reloading components.

remember $99. cans of 762x39? thats about when it changed.

i would buy 22 and 22 subsonic for almost the same price and i saw when they both started to rise in price.

before 2000 i bought pulled green tip 556 and virgin primed 556 cases and pulled black tip 308, CHEAP. (Canadian overrun in Shotgun News )

WHAT HAPPENED?

2001/9/11 ?

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
9/11 didn't affect the price of guns and ammo as much as the economy taking a nose-dive and Bush enacting Executive Order to ban Chinese guns, parts and ammunition.

I was still getting Russian 7.62 delivered to my house for $106 / 1000 up until 2005

So, unless there was another 9/11 around the time Obama got elected (to continue Bush's retarded financial programs) then the problems are clearly not Arabians crashing stolen aircraft into skyscrapers.

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
RK3369 said:
TheSwampFox said:

+1. I buy most of my items online and use a local FFL to transfer them. He's not actively buying or selling but does training and transfers, so he's glad for the transfer fees. I also have never found a competitive price at a show. It seems that most of the vendors keep their prices high because they have so much overhead to meet, vendor fees, etc. The only ones I think are making money at the shows are the show promoters.

As a small time dealer, I can't compete with online merchants. I'm happy to take $20 for a transfer and save you money by referring you to an online seller. Easier on my end and cheaper on your end means we're both happy. The margins are too small anymore unless you're dealing 100+ per week.

RK3369

Well-Known Fanatic
[/quote]As a small time dealer, I can't compete with online merchants. I'm happy to take $20 for a transfer and save you money by referring you to an online seller. Easier on my end and cheaper on your end means we're both happy. The margins are too small anymore unless you're dealing 100+ per week.[/quote]

years ago my father and uncle were in the office machine business, back when calculators were mechanical and had a paper tape. When the first electronic calculators came out, they were $2400 and did nothing more than you can get in a $.99 Dollar Store model nowadays. Technology cheapens things and it killed the office machine business. I would bet that once things like 3D printers and such come into wider use, it will put a big hit on the price of firearms. Basically, technology and Walmart eventually drives the margins out of everything, and the small fish can't survive. I think it's because we aren't wiling to pay for service, only to pay a cheap price. But when the item goes bad, we don't want to pay to have it fixed, so it has to become a throwaway. Laser computer printers now are like that. Costs $150 for a decent quality laser monochrome printer. When it breaks, you throw it away and buy a new one because it's not worth the price of having it repaired, even if you can find someone to fix it.

RK3369

Well-Known Fanatic
Exactly my point. No margins left in most things that are for sale anymore. I think with guns it's only because there is so much cost involved for product liability insurance and Federal regulation that the costs have to remain high otherwise the manufacturers will be out of business in short order. Even automobiles, with the outrageous prices they list for, are not money makers for the dealers because everybody shops the internet and dealers are forced to discount prices just to sell units. But watch out the first time you get the vehicle into the service department and it's not covered under the warranty. You'll need a fat wallet to get it paid for. Service is the only end of the auto industry where the dealers are surviving nowadays.

Latest posts