Nikki Got a Gun

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
My question...why fill out any paperwork??? The law requires no paperwork, unless you are an FFL...so, why do any.

Another...no Government agency wants their name attached to a firearm bill of Sale...So I was told on a call to SLED...

Steve

CVaper

Fanatic
I buy a gun from you, but dont give you any paperwork.
The gun turns up missing from my safe

The gun is used to shoot someone and is recovered as evidence, but no suspect.

Tracking goes to the last know person and that person is primary suspect. Paperwork is a form of CYA. even if it is a simple piece of paper saying Joe Blow has your gun

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
CVaper said:
I buy a gun from you, but dont give you any paperwork.
The gun turns up missing from my safe

The gun is used to shoot someone and is recovered as evidence, but no suspect.

Tracking goes to the last know person and that person is primary suspect. Paperwork is a form of CYA. even if it is a simple piece of paper saying Joe Blow has your gun

Several problems with your scenario.

1) The bill of sale is not "official documentation" (i.e. you're not a regulated entity, licensed entity, nor is the paperwork notarized and "true") The "documentation" you are using to "cover your ass" will have exactly the same weight in court as the words that come out of your mouth.

2) Simply having owned a gun (or car, et al.) at one point in time will not implicate you in any crime. Worst case scenario is you will be asked if you remember any information of who you sold the gun to and then never talked to again, irregardless if you say "I don't remember" or "Here is a photocopy of his drivers license, a sample of his DNA and an X-ray of his teeth." Same result.

The thesis of the above is to assuage any "well, it's better to err on the side of caution!" nonsense. If you want to generate paperwork, and the guy buying/selling agrees to it, then so be it. But don't have a fantasy that this worthless paperwork will do anything to shield you from malicious prosecution in the future.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I speak from experience....I traded a young man a p-22 Walther pistol. He looked young, so, I ask for proof of his age. He was 22...so, we did the trade.

About 6 months later...N, Charleston Police Detective got in touch with me. Told me the weapon in question had been taken from someone that had been arrested as a drug dealer.

He ask me if I knew who I traded the gun to...I told him NO But that I had looked at his D.L. to make sure he was 21..He ask me if I remembered his name...I told him I had no idea, and I said.." it was just a .22 pistol" He said that drug dealers like .22 pistols because they didn't make much noise and they liked Hi-Points because they were cheap...

He then said "Thanks, and hope you have a nice day"

I don't waist my time with worthless paperwork...

Steve

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i call BS on the entire article.

form 4473 DOES NOT ask if you are the person buying the gun.

the first question on the form asks if you are the person who is filling out and signing this paperwork. yes that means you are buying the gun but it does not ask that.

i have bought from a very reputable dealer and told him the gun is a gift. his responce has been "i dont care what you do with it." of course he knows its a legal deal and i am the signer so what i do with it is out of his hands.

same goes if i sell you a gun but there is no paperwork. the article is just being used to generate money from transfers and confuse people into thinking guns must be registered.

my opinion

CVaper

Fanatic
It all about covering your butt.
I would rather spend 5min explaining what happened to a gun that I used to own, instead of spending 5 hrs. It does happen.
But this is America and we do still have some choices. We can choose to do some type of paperwork or we can choose not to.

Avtomat-Acolyte

Well-Known Fanatic
CVaper said:
It all about covering your butt.
I would rather spend 5min explaining what happened to a gun that I used to own, instead of spending 5 hrs. It does happen.
But this is America and we do still have some choices. We can choose to do some type of paperwork or we can choose not to.

Any piece of paper you manufacture will not affect the time in which you are questioned by police.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
I've done a bill of sale for several guns I've sold, I think of them as a due diligence sort of thing. These sales were all between myself and friends so the bill helps to establish ownership and value for insurance purposes in the event of damage or theft.

Three people are involved the seller, buyer and a witness (but not a notary) so its not a one sided story should I ever have the pleasure of discussing the sale with the popo.

wylie

Well-Known Fanatic
We need to give Governor Nikki Haley support I believe she is pro gun. she has been getting a bashing on Facebook people have been saying very nasty things to her because of her stand on guns. Send her an email with your support or Facebook and give her support there as well.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
My point that may have been missed (maybe I under-implied it) was that a dealer was recommending through the media that people fill out a non-existent form. I'm sure this could be very confusing to most buyers, making them unnecessarily wary of making a perfectly legal transfer (gift). When someone of seeming authority or knowledge (in this case the interviewed dealer) makes public comments, he should not overstate the extent of the law. Such comments will only contribute to public complacency and acceptance when legislation is proposed to make paperwork REQUIRED for private transfers.

Latest posts