need help with cwp...PLEASE

turbotommy

New Fanatic
Hello everyone! I am new to the forum and to concealed carry and I need help.on 10/25 I went to purchase a handgun
so I could use it for a cwp class I was told my application was "delayed" and they would call me in a "few days" well so far no call.
So what should I do next? I am very confused I have checked the nics website but not sure if I should file a vaf ,take the cwp class with a
rented gun and hope sled processes my nics check or something else.I know I have none of the disqualifying conditions and I am a nurse
so I have to have a sled check for my job. So I am confused as to why my application was delayed and do not know how to clear it up.
I do have a very common name maybe that is one reason. HELPPPP :eek:
THANK YOU !
Tommy

throttleup

Active Fanatic
If your purchase was delayed they gave your dealer a date, usually 5 days hence. If your dealer does not hear from the FBI by then, you may pick up your gun. If it has been a week go right back to your dealer and finish your transaction. Of course there is a possibility that you were denied and the dealer never notified you. Go find out.

turbotommy

New Fanatic
Howdy all,well it has been a week since I applied so I called them about it and...............they have still heard nothing!
So I am still stuck and don't know what to do.If I take a cwp class and apply to sled will they give me a definite answer?
THANK YOU !
Tommy

94formulabird

Well-Known Fanatic
Just buy a gun private party...if you don't have any felonies it's not an issue...I've always walked away with a gun I wanted that day from a dealer...seems fishy to me

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
Your dealer does not know the law. According to the FBI website, they have 3 business days after a delay to deny. If after 3 days the dealer does not hear anything, then they can transfer to you.

Here is the link to the law, print it out and take it to the dealer. If they still refuse take your business some place else, dealer or individual.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/federal-firearms-licensees/a-nics-delay

turbotommy

New Fanatic
no I don't have any felonies in fact I am a nurse and have to have background checks for my job.So it may be "fishy" the dealer was the sportsmans warehouse
they are kind of the Mcdonalds of firearm dealers I don't think their employees know or care what the do they were kind of rude on the phone when I called them.
I might try palmetto state armory they seem to know their **** at the ferindina store anyhow.I want to get my cwp anyhow I don't want
to carry a handgun without one and don't just want one for the house and car.Any recommendations on a good dealer?Yeah I read the 3 day law thing too
like I say there employees are idiots.I called another store and asked them about the 3 day law thing the employee said "that was not their policy and had to hear back from the fbi".
Thank You !
Tommy

mark_b

Well-Known Fanatic
I have done business with both PSA stores in Columbia, they definitely know the FFL rules better than Sportsman Warehouse. Find something that you like there, and in worse case you will have it 3 days later. Or find something you like on Armslist from an individual.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

turbotommy

New Fanatic
I want to be able to carry one on me.I just signed up for a cwp class at PSA on the 18th. so wish me luck .I think once
I do that and provide sled with my fingerprints and they find I have no felonies it should not be a problem.
What do y'all think about that?
THANK YOU !
Tommy

Latest posts