Firearm transporting law interpretation

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
So.....having a little argument with a buddy, and need some help:

Section 16-23-20. Unlawful Carrying of Handgun; Exceptions. says:
(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver?s license, registration, or proof of insurance; If the person has been issued a concealed weapons permit pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, then the person also may secure his weapon under a seat in a vehicle, or in any open or closed storage compartment within the vehicle?s passenger compartment; or?

With the new fad of "under the dash" holsters, how does this play out? Is a holster screwed to under the dash considered "under a seat" or "an open storage compartment?"

ramsey88

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm also curious how you guys interpret this. I asked my cwp instructor this very question last Saturday in the class and he said he wouldn't think that counted because it's not a "storage compartment"

PapaBear

Well-Known Fanatic
The reasoning I've heard is that a holster fastened to something, even under a dash, becomes an "open storage compartment......"

ramsey88

Well-Known Fanatic
The language in the new law isn't very helpful in determining what constitutes a "compartment". My cwp instructor said that the cubby hole/magazine storage in the door counted as an "open compartment" but then if someone gets your door open you can't get to your weapon.

The General

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't ever try to overthink the SC laws (for firearms). Apply common sense first, Legaleze second.

The new law says "Open Storage Compartment". Your car is not manufacted with a under-dash holster. Therefore, that's NOT an open compartment. The door pocket, dashboard shelf, center console tray: Those are open storage compartments.

Of course, if you're insistant on pushing the boundaries, I will be sure to attend your trial to see how the Judiciary interprets the law!!! LOL

-Mike

Latest posts