Cowboy Action in Upstate SC

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been shooting SASS cowboy matches since early 2010. There are two SASS-affiliated clubs in Upstate South Carolina that host monthly matches. Matches are open to the public-you need not be a member of the "host" club or a member of SASS to shoot monthly matches. There is no charge for spectators but we do require that they wear eye and ear protection in the shooting area. I always recommend to prospective new shooters that they observe a local match as a first step. Don't be shy; walk up and say hello. Cowboy shooters love to talk about the sport and show off their gear.

The Belton Bushwhackers (at the Belton Gun Club) shoot on the 2nd Saturdays. I am not a member but I regularly shoot there; Match Director "Slippery Stew" believes in having fun. www.beltonbushwhackers.com

The Greenville Gunfighters (of the Greenville Gun Club) shoot on the 4th Sunday of each month. This is my "home club". Match Director "Cowboy Junky" is a top shooter who knows what shooters like. www.greenvillegunfighters.com

In addition to the websites, both clubs have a Facebook page. You can also see match videos on my YouTube channel under me cowboy alias "Abe E.S. Corpus".

We have a great time shooting cowboy action. If you have a competitive streak we have some fast shooters who will tell you all of their secrets. If you are new to the shooting sports, a lady or youth shooter or you are getting older, there is a place for you in cowboy action shooting. We are actively recruiting new shooters and would like to have folks come out and see what we do.

If one of the Upstate match days does not suit your schedule, we can point you to four other SC clubs and to cowboy matches in North Carolina and Georgia.

The only regret I hear voiced by cowboy shooters is "I wish I'd started shooting years ago".

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
We've had slightly lower temperature and humidity this week that should continue into the weekend for the Greenville Gunfighters' match on Sunday, July 28.

I'm switching back to "Frontier Cartridge" category which adds to the fun and the challenge.

The SC State Match will be held at the Palmetto Gun Club near Ridgeland/Summerville on September 26-29. If you are in the Lowcountry that will be a good event to visit.

Last edited:

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
With cooler weather it's more enjoyable to be outdoors. Belton Bushwhackers shoot this Saturday and Greenville Gunfighters shoot on the 4th Sunday. We will offer a Wild Bunch match in Greenville alongside the usual cowboy action match.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
The Greenville Gunfighters will wrap up 2019 with our monthly match on Sunday December 22. Think of the steel targets as Christmas bells.

Latest posts